$12.46 a quart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. That's the single quart price of the new Mobil 1 annual performance oil at Wally World. I can buy Amsoil Signature Series for $10.50 a quart at a nearby Carquest.

Funny story here with this. I was in the oil section and this funny older black fella asked me if I needed any help. Of course I didn't. But I found a 5 qt container on the very top shelf of the new Mobil 1 annual performance 5w30. So, I asked him how much it was going to cost. And to my mild surprise he told me $50. He tells me..." Well before too long you gonna need $100 bill to change the oil in these cars if you go to a dealership and they are using this stuff here." Which I laughed at and agreed with him on that. Then I found the $12.46 quart sizes of the new Mobil 1 annual performance 5w30,0w20, and 5w20. Still crazy to me. Ohh and they hadn't done the reset for their 5 qt container section as of this am. That's supposed to be done soon.

Until Mobil and WMT come to their senses with the price of this product, Amsoil might see a slight rise in sales all thanks to XOM's new product.

Sadly, that price would fit in nicely up here.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Until Mobil and WMT come to their senses with the price of this product, Amsoil might see a slight rise in sales all thanks to XOM's new product.

The uneducated non BITOG member wouldn't know what Amsoil is, so I doubt that Mobil would take that big of a hit on sales.

If that oil doesn't move for the price point, expect discounts on it and eventusl discontinuation. Did those jugs state how long you can run the oil for?

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

The uneducated non BITOG member wouldn't know what Amsoil is, so I doubt that Mobil would take that big of a hit on sales.

If that oil doesn't move for the price point, expect discounts on it and eventusl discontinuation. Did those jugs state how long you can run the oil for?

I used the word slight rise for a reason. The reason being, the educated who might have been on the fence about using Amsoil might say for that price I'll use Amsoil. I wouldn't expect a major rise, but a slight [very slight] rise could happen.

I'm waiting for the official release date, to see if that price drops. Maybe a VOA might actually justify the price to the educated, I have my doubts though.

Wow $12.46 a quart...that certainly invalidates any "M1 is less expensive than Amsoil" argument for this oil. I bet anyone looking at the shelves will avoid this oil in favor of "regular" M1....which I presume is still around $5 a quart at WW. ExxonMobil will have to drop the price to a reasonable level or it just won't sell - especially at WW!

I just spent $13.50 a quart on boutique oil for a thrill.........( boredom)
That said my 5 qt. jugs from Amazon at retail are $14 for subscribe and save FS Magnatec......
I don't use Mobil 1 since its introduction many years ago but I have seen loyalist that would pay $100 if need be.
Hey demar- shouldn't you be working
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I just spent $13.50 a quart on boutique oil for a thrill.........( boredom)
That said my 5 qt. jugs from Amazon at retail are $14 for subscribe and save FS Magnatec......
I don't use Mobil 1 since its introduction many years ago but I have seen loyalist that would pay $100 if need be.
Hey demar- shouldn't you be working
wink.gif

I'm working, hard in fact.
wink.gif

[I just spent $13.50 a quart on boutique oil for a thrill.........( boredom)]

^ And to think I walk right past the boutique and expen$ive brands to get to the ST oil.
whistle.gif

That's the beauty of it all. You buy what you like.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
[I just spent $13.50 a quart on boutique oil for a thrill.........( boredom)]

^ And to think I walk right past the boutique and expen$ive brands to get to the ST oil.
whistle.gif

I think Mobil have lost their minds, nobody is going to buy that, M1 EP , or even regular M1 can already go 1 year, heck just about any oil can go 1 year under not-extreme conditions.

One can't say that Mobil is stupid. They're doing pretty well, so far. There must be someone out there willing to pony up for this new oil. Remember Sears? they had different product lines and then they had upgrades called "Sears Best". If you're at Walmart looking for the best oil for your prized whatever it's very possible that you might just step up and purchase Mobil's best.

Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

I wonder if they are trying to find the upper end of what people will pay in the US? I was surprised to see Mobil 1 filters at now are starting at $18...

If it's $12.XX a quart at WALMART, what will it be at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Napa etc.?

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

I wonder if they are trying to find the upper end of what people will pay in the US? I was surprised to see Mobil 1 filters at now are starting at $18...

Smart business is to start with a high price and work down. Starting low and working up doesn't work. They're probably testing the waters.

I agree.

Plus there will be a psychological pricing trick where someone will wonder "why is this so much more than regular Mobil 1" and another person will say "well with this one you only have to change your oil once a year" and then someone will read their owners manual which says annual oil changes are acceptable for warranty and BAM! all of the sudden you are paying way more for your oil than you thought you would and Mobil has successfully "raised the value" of their product on the shelf which will allow the prices of the rest of their products creep up.

Retailers like Walmart do this all the time. Put something up to distract you like "New Everyday Low Price" meanwhile prices are creeping up all over the store on other items. Then the products that were higher priced get put on "Rollback" while the old everyday low price products get moved upwards. It's a never ending shell game.

The price we pay has nothing to do with the cost of manufacture, it has everything to do with the perceived value of the product. This is how pricing psychology works and they get us every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back