VWB 5W20 mixing advice in my situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 16 quarts of VWB 5w20 SM that I want to use in the Maxima.

I want to thicken it with 7 quarts of Mobil Delvac 1300 15W40 SM; a VOA by Sonataman indicates
Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 CJ4/CI4/CI4+/SM
TBN-9.14
Vis-14.7
Oxidation-10
Nitration-5
cadmium-0
lithium-0
zinc-1208
moly-46
barium-0
mang-0
titanium-0
copper-0
sodium-7
vanadium-0

I also have 5 quarts of Smitty SuperS 10w40 SN that I want to use for thickening. I would imagine similar additives to this:

Now for the question. Which route would you go:
1. Mix 2qt VWB with 2qt Delvac until Delvac is used, then mix 2qt VWB with 2qt Smitty.
2. Mix 2qt VWB with 1qt Delvac and 1qt Smitty.

The VWB and Smitty are more similar when it comes to additives.

Get a bucket that holds 28 quarts+, tip everything in, and mix with a paint stirrer.

Decant back into bottles for storage, and use as and when you change/top up.

That way you only run out of any given product once, and then it's only (clearly) less than a sump volume.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Get a bucket that holds 28 quarts+, tip everything in, and mix with a paint stirrer.

That way you only run out of any given product once, and then it's only (clearly) less than a sump volume.

And stop hoarding in the future. You will sleep better.

May be with the smittys only. I would do 1 of 4 20 grade/30 grade It effectively "thins" more than you would think.

Try 1 in 4 then go from there. The engine will talk to you which way to go.

That's an added expense for the bucket and stirrer, not to mention their storage. I have to run the viscosity calculator, but the mix might be thinner than I'd like.
I take it you don't see an additive problem.
Originally Posted By: Shannow

I haven't bought any oil in at least 4 years.
I just hope I'll go through the oil and filter stashes before gas engines are declared illegal
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Drosselmier

And stop hoarding in the future. You will sleep better.

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to mixing oil but am conservative when doing so. If the car takes 5 quarts I would mix 4 quarts of the Valvoline and 1 quart of one of the thicker oils. That way you're not messing up the chemistry of the primary oil. The one quart you're mixing in is more of an additive or thickener. My first choice for the additional quart would be the Smittys.

Based on my reading, the people that stray from the Maxima recommended 5w30 go thicker to xw40 oils. I'm not going to run 5w20 in a VQ30DE.
I'm trying to accomplish a cst of 11 at 100C.
For the last 3 oil changes, I've mixed the said 5w20 with Castrol GTX 20w50 in 3:1 (2 OCI) and then 2:1 (currently running) proportions.
Originally Posted By: sir1900
What exactly are you trying to accomplish by thickening?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
May be with the smittys only. I would do 1 of 4 20 grade/30 grade It effectively "thins" more than you would think.

Try 1 in 4 then go from there. The engine will talk to you which way to go.

Do you mean 1 part Smitty to 4 parts 5w20?

Use the VWB 5W-20 in the Corolla. It doesn't need and doesn't care about QSUD or M1 oil filters this far into its life and you live in a moderate climate anyway.
Use the Smitty's 10W-40 in the Nissan and follow it with the Delvac 15W-40.
All of the oil then get used in applications suited to the respective grades.
Simple answer!

The car takes 4 quarts. Just 1 quart of xw40 oil doesn't even reach 10 cst at 100C.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'm not opposed to mixing oil but am conservative when doing so. If the car takes 5 quarts I would mix 4 quarts of the Valvoline and 1 quart of one of the thicker oils. That way you're not messing up the chemistry of the primary oil. The one quart you're mixing in is more of an additive or thickener. My first choice for the additional quart would be the Smittys.

What you suggest is sensible, not sure I am
smile.gif
The 1ZZFE in the Corolla has been in production since 1998, designed with 5w30 in mind. I think in 2005, the Corolla has been back specced to 5w20 along with a new dipstick that adds 1/2qt to the sump oil level - to make up for the oil burning. It's been on xw30 synthetic for the last 100k miles, and I've got about 3 more syn oil changes for it (2 Valvoline and 1 Castrol). I want to see the odo stop at 300k on this car, it has been very good to us.
I've also got 20qt Castrol synblend and 30qt Mobil Super 5000 in the stash, predominantly 5w30 SN. Still have to decide where to use each.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Use the VWB 5W-20 in the Corolla. It doesn't need and doesn't care about QSUD or M1 oil filters this far into its life and you live in a moderate climate anyway.
Use the Smitty's 10W-40 in the Nissan and follow it with the Delvac 15W-40.
All of the oil then get used in applications suited to the respective grades.
Simple answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back