Bought some clearance Fram HM filters. Good to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At walamrt today in the clearance section I found a bunch of Fram HM4386 (longer version of the 4967 my mr2 uses) for basically free. Bought 2. Any reason not to use them? I run maxlife and do short OCIs due to mostly city and short trip driving. Filters usually see 3k miles and 6 months time.

Also grabbed 2 bosch distance plus 3311 for the gfs matrix for basically free as well.

They're good filters. It's basically a Fram extra guard with the acid neutralizing and TBN replenishing additive that is time released over the oci. They are 95.7% efficient at 20 microns which is very respectable for an economy filter. They are good for at least 5k miles.

You probably already know the Bosch Distance plus are great filters and have a large holding capacity due to the blended cellulose/glass media.

Take the high mileage brew out of one of them and send it in for a VOA
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
They're good filters. It's basically a Fram extra guard with the acid neutralizing and TBN replenishing additive that is time released over the oci. They are 95.7% efficient at 20 microns which is very respectable for an economy filter. They are good for at least 5k miles.

You probably already know the Bosch Distance plus are great filters and have a large holding capacity due to the blended cellulose/glass media.

Thanks for the info. The Bosch will be used for my girlfriends matrix which sees twice daily 6 mile city trips and the ocassional highway road trip of 200 to 400 miles or so maybe once or twice an ocI.

My mr2 sees mostly twice daily 15 mile mixed trips and the ocassional 100 mile road trip in the summer.

Yup, as said it is a Fram XG with some goop in it. Nothing has shown the stuff to do harm (nor good
smile.gif
)There have been a few cut open here with some showing the additive gel pack did not even dissolve.
If it was "basically free" (to me means less than $1) I would have not problem using them.
I need to stop by Walmart and see if they have any Distance Plus for cheap around me.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Yup, as said it is a Fram XG with some goop in it. Nothing has shown the stuff to do harm (nor good
smile.gif
)There have been a few cut open here with some showing the additive gel pack did not even dissolve.
If it was "basically free" (to me means less than $1) I would have not problem using them.
I need to stop by Walmart and see if they have any Distance Plus for cheap around me.

XG is the Fram Ultra part number. The Extra Guard is the orange can and the part numbers are PH.

The additives themselves have proven themselves in big trucks with Fram TRT filters, but the method of application is slightly different in the original design. After they saw how well the TRT filters did they wanted to apply it to passenger car filters which is why the HM filters came after the TRT

Now that I saw the video again I heard what the engineer called it which was an anti oxidant over base detergent.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Yup, as said it is a Fram PH with some goop in it. Nothing has shown the stuff to do harm (nor good
smile.gif

XG is the Fram Ultra part number. The Extra Guard is the orange can and the part numbers are PH. ...

Oops, I knew that.
crazy2.gif

Was just typing fast and extra guard turned into XG in my brain.
UG should be Ultra Guard, but I know the Ultra used to be called Extended Guard, so that is where the XG label came from.
Thanks for clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back