IS300 Cold Start Oil Pressure Delay (Video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this normal for cold starts? Seems to take a few seconds to build pressure. The oil pressure light on the dash stays on until the oil builds (reflects the pressure gauge). Sensor for the gauge is at the turbo feed on the block:

Youtube link to video

Looks normal to me.

How long have you owned the car? Is this a recent change, or did you just install the gauge?

Sounds nice, BTW.

Normal. If something was wrong, the oil pressure would build much slower once it registered on the gauge.

Last edited:
The oil leaks out of the oil passages through the bearings and the cam tensioner, hydraulic lifters , cam phasers etc when the engine is not running.

Are those the stock guages? If not maybe the computer takes a few seconds to get going.

Probably depends on the car/engine, type of filter, how long it's been sitting, etc. Yours comes up in about 2 seconds.

The oil pressure on my car comes up almost instantly once the engine starts...maybe 1/2 sec or less.

Every car I've ever owned the light on the dash goes away instantly. I even looked on YouTube for is300 start up up videos and the light seemed to go away immediately.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Are those the stock guages? If not maybe the computer takes a few seconds to get going.

No they are aftermarket.

Are you running an OEM type oil filter that probably has an anti-drain back valve? My 2.5 Mazda engine oil light stays off for a 1-2 second only after an oil change, otherwise it is off instantly. Ed

Originally Posted By: afree
Originally Posted By: Kuato

No they are aftermarket.

I'm thinking it's a delay due to the aftermarket parts. If you perform a Google search for oil pressure delay and your modifications, I bet you'll come up with some matches. My brother's (admittedly low tech) 1973 440 Road Runner was slow to come up on pressure with one set of gauges.

I think I'm going to pull the pan this weekend and inspect. I have a new oil pickup and gasket going in while its off. Next is the oil pump if that doesn't do it.

I have done a few oil analysis since the swap. No signs of excess wear (not sure if this would show anything or not).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back