UOA from blackstone

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to make a new UOA post, now that you have the image, copy and paste this text in your post:

Code:
turbojoe_uoa.png

turbojoe_uoa.png

Pete thanks so much.
I was surprised to see the viscosity and flash point are a little low. The OLM was at about 50%, 11 month service time. I'm a little surprised the M1-EP did not hold in the specified range. If there is only a trace of fuel dilution why would the viscosity drop?

thanks again for the assistance and I look forward to the feedback.

Joe

It could be because the fuel dilution is being underreported. I read a report on here that compared two identical samples with Blackstone and another lab. The other lab had a much higher fuel dilution reading. It seems the other lab had a more accurate way to measure it. Still a good report plus it was coming up on a year. So ready for a change. I don't think the OLM takes time into account.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
It could be because the fuel dilution is being underreported. I read a report on here that compared two identical samples with Blackstone and another lab. The other lab had a much higher fuel dilution reading. It seems the other lab had a more accurate way to measure it. Still a good report plus it was coming up on a year. So ready for a change. I don't think the OLM takes time into account.

Well that would make sense, didn't know what else would cause the viscosity to dip like that. Would Shearing cause it? Not sure if this engine was known to be a bit of a shredder or not.

Yes that fuel dilution, Blackstone is becoming famous for reporting low on fuel in the oil.

Other than the fuel the oil held up fine and with 3.9 TBN you could have easily ran the oil life to zero.

Remember that lower viscosity isn't an issue in itself, only when it causes high wear usually.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes that fuel dilution, Blackstone is becoming famous for reporting low on fuel in the oil.

Other than the fuel the oil held up fine and with 3.9 TBN you could have easily ran the oil life to zero.

Remember that lower viscosity isn't an issue in itself, only when it causes high wear usually.

Okay, this makes sense now. Since the flashpoint is a bit below spec. can mean there is fuel dilution. If the flashpoint was in spec then it could mean a certain engine is "hard on oil" and not caused by fuel dilution.
When I use up my stash of 2 dollar 5w30 synthetic oil it would not be too far out of line to consider 0w40 or 5w40 grade for this engine if I find a good sale. I'm not worried about it as I look at the wear metals etc, might probably stick with 5w30. Next research for me might be looking into which oils may stay in grade better with some fuel dilution. again, I'm not worried at all but this is interesting to me.
Thanks for all of the feedback.
Joe

You can try 5w30 with acea c3 or it's derivatives : dexos 2 or Mb 229.51/52 or vw 504/507
This what they get on the other side of Atlantic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back