Mobil 1 Annual Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot imagine anyone buying this stuff. Pricing is insane.

So Walmart has jumped the gun putting it on the shelf - but hasn't there been two stores posted at the $49 mark ?
Well, no way XOM does not have at least one stealth visitor to this site - so Mobil marketing needs to hear this feedback - get the price down ! Sticker shock is contagious !
You might get that price at the Mobil 1 Lube near the XOM campus - but not in my village ...

Looked at the Mobil web site. It states for this oil, API SN-RC; what is the RC? Seems to be the only Mobil oil with this RC suffix

Originally Posted By: car51
TIG1 uses M1 AFE for 10k

I'd rather use that or M1 EP

+1 - I don't see the advantage of the Annual Protection.

Compared to the 5W20 AP, the 0W20 AP has a lower pour point, higher flash point, a higher viscosity at 100C, and the same HTHS.
I know pour and flash points don't necessarily mean a lot, but the 0W20 looks like the more robust oil by these few numbers.

I find it interesting that Mobil1 and Pennzoil Ultra is making Amsoil look like possibly a bargain. Currently PUP in 5 qt jug on Walmart's website is over $10. per qt. The new M1 is $10. per qt. PUP on Amazon is over $9. per qt. Heck, PP on Walmart's website is now over $38. The pricing at the auto stores for these are over the top as well. Are these oils so good that they now demand boutique pricing? I warmed up to PUP a few years ago but it has gotten so hard to get and so expensive that it is hard to justify by any measuring stick in my mind.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Compared to the 5W20 AP, the 0W20 AP has a lower pour point, higher flash point, a higher viscosity at 100C, and the same HTHS.
I know pour and flash points don't necessarily mean a lot, but the 0W20 looks like the more robust oil by these few numbers.

Yeah, that 242C flashpoint is impressive - especially for a 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
Well let's see...40 yrs ago they were advertising 15,000 miles or one year.
So the progression is 125 miles interval added per year.

40 ago they were in PAO and Esters ... now, aren't.

Originally Posted By: lonestar
I find it interesting that Mobil1 and Pennzoil Ultra is making Amsoil look like possibly a bargain. Currently PUP in 5 qt jug on Walmart's website is over $10. per qt. The new M1 is $10. per qt. PUP on Amazon is over $9. per qt. Heck, PP on Walmart's website is now over $38. The pricing at the auto stores for these are over the top as well. Are these oils so good that they now demand boutique pricing? I warmed up to PUP a few years ago but it has gotten so hard to get and so expensive that it is hard to justify by any measuring stick in my mind.

Yes, if you have Amsoil account, buy some Signature Series during their free shipping and 5 qts run 40$ to you door versus 50$ for the Mobil 1 AP.

M1 AP in pictures is 5 quarts ... Redline is $50 for 4 quarts at Walmart website ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
M1 AP in pictures is 5 quarts ... Redline is $50 for 4 quarts at Walmart website ...

My point is Amsoil Sig Series is cheaper for 5 qts assuming you have a PC account and take adavantage when they offer free shipping. 40<50$

The Amsoil story has been on here many times wrt builder approval - if that does not matter - go for it ...

I still think WMT might offer it at $34.99 or $39.99 at some point before they blow it out on a closeout. $50 might be testing the water, and they'll know real fast that no one is going in at that price.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
+1 ... I'd do my ecoboost for that ... only not beyond OLM ...

I think they have a shot in the $34.99-$39.99 price range, a shot. Beyond that, no way.

The delta between M1 5w30 and M1 EP 5w30 on Walmart's website is less than $4. Thus, logic says that the price for the 1 year M1 product should be positioned about $4. more than EP.

So, who is setting the price M1 or Walmart? Naturally, the $50 price could simply be a trail balloon.

Last weekend at Wallyworld I saw the 5w30 on the shelf with the normal full synthetics and no special price markers. Perhaps I should have tried to pick up a 5 Qt jug for $25.86 as marked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back