Pontiac Fiero 2M4 5 speed 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father in law bought this for my oldest daughter a few years back. I'm not sure what year it is (mid 80's). It does run just fine but I've gotta fix the emergency brake though (why would you place it on the left side of the drivers seat?) One hand on the steering and the other hand on the stick (emergency brake should've been by the stick).

For pretty much my entire teenage life, and well into my 20's, I wanted one of those so bad. Even now, I still see one and think "Man, it would be so cool to have one of those"

One of Pontiac's biggest wins, IMHO.

My buddy's sister had one of these for her first car but it had an automatic transmission ("no fun"! She said) lucky no fire ever happened over the years.

I forget how they were stock, I did drive one just like that 20+ years ago and it was a bit slow. Probably fun to corner on the skinny tires though, but I didn't push it at all. Are you sure its a 5 spd? I think they were 4spd manuals with the 4 banger.
If the frame is solid I'm sure you could sell it as they are a popular platform to swap engines into. I've had a few autocross rides in one with a 250hp GM 3.5 V6 and its quite impressive then! On a small road course he could keep up with a supercharged lotus Elise.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I forget how they were stock, I did drive one just like that 20+ years ago and it was a bit slow. Probably fun to corner on the skinny tires though, but I didn't push it at all. Are you sure its a 5 spd? I think they were 4spd manuals with the 4 banger.
If the frame is solid I'm sure you could sell it as they are a popular platform to swap engines into. I've had a few autocross rides in one with a 250hp GM 3.5 V6 and its quite impressive then! On a small road course he could keep up with a supercharged lotus Elise.

I wanted to see what a turbo would do for it

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
They were known to have the occasional fire.

"Of the total production of the Pontiac Fiero of 370,168, 135 (.036%) of them were reported to have had engine fires, 122 of these occurred while driving, according to the NHTSA."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Fiero#Engine_fire_reputation

Looks like the car is a 85 or 88 model from your link if, I remembered the motor size correctly

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
GM PLATFORM TO TRY ADVANCED BODY MATERIALS BEFORE SATURN.
Was there not a 2.8L sixer GT?

That was the Fiero GT. Might have been starting in 1985.

The 1988 Fiero GT was apparently where they got everything together, then cancelled the program. I remember seeing kits for sale to use the chassis to look like something else. One was a kit to make it look kind of like a Ferrari 328 GTS. There was a modified version in the movie "Action Jackson".

Tonka's toy line Gobots included a character, "Sparky", who converted into a 1984 Fiero 2M4 (called a "P-car" on the packaging). Also worth mention is the Transformers character "Punch-Counterpunch", a spy who converts into a vehicle looking similar to a 1985 Fiero GT, but modified to avoid trademark issues.

I don't have that one unfortunately

That is one nice car. I hope all works out for you, paw in law, and your oldest girl.

The closest I came to driving something like this was the 1st gen MR2 in a grocery store parking lot when I just got my license and was delivering pizzas.

To be honest, I would take that exact car over any Ferrari. One, I like GM. Two, the Iron Duke and a manual are top notch. Three, what is the point of a Ferrari on the street? Folks who have them seem to drive them like 100 miles a year. You got yourself a real driver's car for all I know. I remember seeing one in a Harbor Freight parking lot when I had my RX-7 (1987) and noticed it had the same size tires (185/70-14).

I read that the fuel system only runs at 10-20psi, so that needs to be addressed before you crank up the boost too much!
I'd just get it running well as is and try that for a while. Shine it up a bit and some guy might make an offer you can't refuse.
I'd get your daughter something a little newer with stuff like power steering, and a dozen air bags.

This was a seriously neat and different car of a sort New GM would never build.
I like the Fiero and regret not having bought one back when they were cheap and plentiful as used cars.
Many were sticks, which you don't see much of these days.
It's as though people today have forgotten how to drive or never learned in the first place.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
GM PLATFORM TO TRY ADVANCED BODY MATERIALS BEFORE SATURN.
Was there not a 2.8L sixer GT?

That was the Fiero GT. Might have been starting in 1985.

The 1988 Fiero GT was apparently where they got everything together, then cancelled the program. I remember seeing kits for sale to use the chassis to look like something else. One was a kit to make it look kind of like a Ferrari 328 GTS. There was a modified version in the movie "Action Jackson".

Correct, the 2.8 V6 was first offered in 1985. You coulf get the GT model with the aero package or order the V6 in the SE model. I had a 1985 SE model with the V6 and let me tell you that little car flew. It would knock down and Iroc Z of the day. It was rated 140hp in 1985 and 135 years after. I liked my car because it was rarer than the GT. It just said Fiero 2M6 on the rear instead of 2M4 and had dual exhaust pipes.

Thanks for the memories!

Great little car, I drove a 4 cylinder when they first came out and it would redline in top gear, very spirited lil Iron Duke motor. Minor mods made easy horsepower on those.

IMO the V6 models were overweight and unbalanced compared to the lil 4 banger.

And it is amazing that about a hundred fires against 300k production gets you a lifetime rap sheet on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back