275,000 Mile 2005 motor... which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would just try maxlife synthetic for a 7500 mile oil change and see how it goes. Mobil 1 High mileage 5w30 or 10w30 would probably be great too!

In the end, oil may be blowing past the rings or the valve seals and you won't see it until the cat is degraded and quits.

What helped me in a similar situation with an older panther (similar mileage) - Italian tune-up. That was enough initially and surprised me quite a bit. Anyway, I ran 2 cans of the BG product out of curiosity, and it runs smoothest it ever did. This is a beater car, goes short tripping most of the year with one coast-tocoast road trip. Highway miles with HM oils alone wouldn't help it..

1.) I get some Kreen. One can in each of the next two oil changes. It will free sticky rings if there is anything to free...

2.) Changing oil chemistry is good. Different add paks act slightly differently on deposits and such. I'd go Maxlife blend becasue I like a little dino oil in the mix.

3.) I think you are looking at oil viscosity grades a little wrong. You want a 5W for easy starts and cold idle performance. But you want HTHS for hot oil capability. I see no reason to go 10W-30 as it's still 30 when hot. You could easily go to 5W-40 a bit on the thin side like Rotella T6 (Grp III syn) and see how that works... In my mind it's kind of a 35. Combined with the Kreen it should have you back to where you were a while ago.

But, something may be worn beyond stopping oil getting past it ... It could be that you'll just need to top up more often ... A 5W-40 might help some, but it take operator oversight. Keep checking your dip stick - like every few days, or at least when you gas up ...

Last edited:
I was looking at the 10w30 HM because the add pack seems to be superior to the 5w30, not because of the viscosity.

Kreen has me interested. Researching before placing my order.

Last edited:
Ok, ordered my 4 quarts of kreen and got my free aerokroil can.

I'm running a dose of lubri-moly MOS in maxlife syn blend 5w-30, I'll push to 2,500 miles then do a piston soak, followed by BG109 then a drain. I'll do a run of Maxlife 100% Syn with the kreen 1,000 & 1,000, piston soak, use the seafoam TB port-injection head cleaning method with an italian tune up (but using the new Gumout Tune-up with a [censored] of PEA in it) and then drain and see where we end up.

Thanks for the heads up on the kreen - I knew about Kroil, my dad had a few small squeeze cans from 30+ years ago around, but had no idea they still existed.

Originally Posted By: Goros
I'm running a dose of lubri-moly MOS in maxlife syn blend 5w-30, I'll push to 2,500 miles then do a piston soak, followed by BG109 then a drain. I'll do a run of Maxlife 100% Syn with the kreen 1,000 & 1,000, piston soak, use the seafoam TB port-injection head cleaning method with an italian tune up (but using the new Gumout Tune-up with a [censored] of PEA in it) and then drain and see where we end up.

Wow OK. So you know there's a engine cleanliness problem that needs all that?

They say Dawn dissolves grease. Wonder how well the garden hose-Dawn method would work to clean things up?

Dawn works on hands real well. For cleaning parts; I use a Parts cleaner
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back