New Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart 20k Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it at a local Walmart yesterday for a few pennies under $ 50 .

I have been buying Mobil 1 & Mobil Super Synthetic , Dexos specification , depending on which is on sale .

Best I can tell , GM Dexos oil is a synthetic blend . So , with either , they are labeled as full synthetic and should exceed the GM oil .

Wyr

Had a quick look - still no group III/IV hug with Chrysler
wink.gif
?

"Proprietary anti-aging technology"

I'm wondering if this is some sort of unique TBN retention ability. At $50 it's a tough sell.

The video is not available yet.

Proven in actual vehicle testing to provide outstanding protection during extended oil change interval service. See the Mobil 1 Annual Protection video at Mobil1.com. https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...-tested-results

Originally Posted By: buster

I'm wondering if this is some sort of unique TBN retention ability. At $50 it's a tough sell.

The video is not available yet.

Proven in actual vehicle testing to provide outstanding protection during extended oil change interval service. See the Mobil 1 Annual Protection video at Mobil1.com. https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...-tested-results

The video is not there yet, but, they did just add a different video. A video on the 500,000 mile test of Mobil 1 high mileage oil.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...leage-challenge

M1 does not have single ACEA spec. anymore except 0W40 and 5W30 ESP. Not to mention that ACEA A5/B5 is becoming very popular, especially among turbo makers.
I used M1 5W30 when I owned Mazda Millenia 2.5 V6, religiously. If I purchase appliance car again (possibility next year due to increase in family members), I will avoid this. Go to local BMW dealership and get 0W20 TPT that meets ACEA A5/B5.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
M1 does not have single ACEA spec. anymore except 0W40 and 5W30 ESP. Not to mention that ACEA A5/B5 is becoming very popular, especially among turbo makers.
I used M1 5W30 when I owned Mazda Millenia 2.5 V6, religiously. If I purchase appliance car again (possibility next year due to increase in family members), I will avoid this. Go to local BMW dealership and get 0W20 TPT that meets ACEA A5/B5.

Just checked Mobil 1 website, the Mobil 1 5W-30, 10W-30, Extended Performance 5W-30, 10W-30, and Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30 have the A1/B1 ACEA spec. The 5W-50 and 15W-50 have the A3/B3 ACEA spec.

Mobil 1 website doesn't list them all in the description below the product, on some of them, it is listed in the product data sheet.

Also, the new Annual Protection 5W-30 has A1/B1.

They used to have A5/B5 listed, but, it looks like that has been dropped.

Last edited:
Go to local BMW dealership and get 0W20 TPT that meets ACEA A5/B5.

How is it possible for a 0w20 to meet A5/B5? That standard requires HTHS of at least 2.9

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Just checked Mobil 1 website, the Mobil 1 5W-30, 10W-30, Extended Performance 5W-30, 10W-30, and Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30 have the A1/B1 ACEA spec. The 5W-50 and 15W-50 have the A3/B3 ACEA spec.

Mobil 1 website doesn't list them all in the description below the product, on some of them, it is listed in the product data sheet.

A1/B1 has been removed from the most recent ACEA sequences. PP and PUP meet A5/B5 in 5w30. Castrol Edge will regain A5/B5 after a slight reformulation, to be released soon.

A3/B3 isn't that great, either, essentially obsolete. Castrol's equivalents meet the higher A3/B4 standard, which requires TBN of at least 10.0

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Go to local BMW dealership and get 0W20 TPT that meets ACEA A5/B5.

How is it possible for a 0w20 to meet A5/B5? That standard requires HTHS of at least 2.9

A1/B1 has been removed from the most recent ACEA sequences. PP and PUP meet A5/B5 in 5w30. Castrol Edge will regain A5/B5 after a slight reformulation, to be released soon.

A3/B3 isn't that great, either, essentially obsolete. Castrol's equivalents meet the higher A3/B4 standard, which requires TBN of at least 10.0

So, Mobil 1 is listing older, outdated specs? Thanks, I didn't realize that.

I just looked at Pennzoil's website and product data sheets. PUP and PP 5W-30 is listed as having the A5/B5-10 and A5/B5-12. Aren't these older, outdated specs as well?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Now I'm tempted to drink this stuff.

lol.gif
lol.gif
01.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Now I'm tempted to drink this stuff.

lol.gif
lol.gif
01.gif

I like your signature!

I'm starting to wonder if XOM knew that at least some flavors of M1 and EP would not pass GF6 and/or dexos1:2015 and AP will step in seamlessly (and probably at a lower price) when those specs hit the streets for real. I'm sure they would have a good idea if AP is going to qualify for those specs by now.

Last edited:
So, Mobil 1 is listing older, outdated specs? Thanks, I didn't realize that.

I just looked at Pennzoil's website and product data sheets. PUP and PP 5W-30 is listed as having the A5/B5-10 and A5/B5-12. Aren't these older, outdated specs as well?

Technically, oils meeting the 2010 sequences like the A5/B5-10 should no longer be marketed, but I'm not sure that there is any ACEA police running around enforcing this, at least not in the US.

The 2012 sequences can still be marketed until December 2018.

http://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016.pdf

So technically, if XOM wants to claim A1/B1-12 (XOM didn't really specify the year), they still can, but as was noted earlier by another poster, the whole A1/B1 sequence is going away and is no longer part of the latest 2016 release, and this has been known for quite a while. So yeah, that's a little antiquated on XOM's side.

Darn it, still 2k short for a normal sheduled OCI in my car.

In my opinion it's good they list the A1/B1 spec if their oil complies with the latest version of it. What with owners whose cars require an A1/B1 oil yet nobody lists the spec anymore?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
In my opinion it's good they list the A1/B1 spec if their oil complies with the latest version of it. What with owners whose cars require an A1/B1 oil yet nobody lists the spec anymore?

Valid point.

Although if I understood correctly, A1/B1 was removed because the new C5 spec basically covers it, so if your car calls for A1/B1, you can run C5 in it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back