Front diff and T case fluid change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed out the front diff fluid. It was a nice grey milky fluid and I only got 1qt and 8oz out. Put 1qt and 24oz back in before it started to run out the fill hole. So it seems it was under serviced.

I also serviced the T case. It took just about 2 full qts before it started running out as well. It is so easy to do. Might just do it once a year.

I didn't get to the rear. I didn't do my home work to find out it has a reusable gasket. So I'll get it some time this week while the weather is warm.

I did put it on my lift and I think it is a wee bit to heavy. I did manage to get the wheels off the ground but the lift didn't want to move very fast so I didn't push it. Just enough clearance to get under it while it sat level to service everything.

That looks like someone drove through deep water and got some in the fluid... I believe most vehicles have some sort of water resistant but not water proof breather

Concur with you, that milky fluid doesn't sound good with water contamaination.
confused.gif

I changed my 06 Silverados fluids early on in 07. I did not submerge the axles. The front diff fluid was grey just like yours.
Maybe a GM thing?
Ive changed it twice since and it is never grey.

Edit: Very nice looking truck!

Last edited:
Every first diff fluid change I've done has looked like that. There are additives in the fluid from the axle maker to assist in break in etc. Nothing to worry about. I will add also that the fluid we use is VERY good and you changed it way too early.....but I think the same way and I always change them out on a new vehicle to get rid of any wear metal. There are folks who never change axle fluid and are running around with 200k+ miles and no issues - the fluids are very strong and the axle environment is not like an engine.

Side note - THANKS for buying one of our trucks - we take great pride in building them.

Last edited:
Also its condensation over time, the front differential does not turn/get used as often as the rear does thus doesn't produce oil heat and burn off moisture.

that's normal you will see this you just need to change oil more often, ALL our trucks do this I see it all the time doing services on front diffs.

As GMboy stated, from what I have read on GM-Trucks forum. Everyone that has a new 2014 and up truck so far has had the same fluid in the front diff. I want to say I saw a TSB out that stated it was from the manufacture and the gear marking grease they use.

I like to get the new wear in fluid out and put fresh in. I have done it with all my vehicles. Just makes me feel better and it is easy to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back