03 Toyota 4runner 4.0 v6 oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new to me 2003 4runner with 133k. Looks to be in good shape but down know how well it was cared for in maintenance. Im going to run a frame ultra filter but was wondering what you would recommend for oil? I believe it specs 5w30 and some 4runners were back specd to 5w2p but I believe that covers the years slightly newer than mine. Any help is appreciated!

Used it in a lot of other applications never had an issue. I'm sure I could get away with a cheaper filter that doesn't go 15k and I won't be going 15k but they're only $6 at my local Walmart so it's pretty cheap to me. Only way I wouldn't use one is if the 4runners don't like them or something

The Fram Ultra is an excellent filter and is capable of 15K easy miles in a well maintained engine, so good filter choice. I would go with either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 5w30 from here on out. Both should do a great job of cleaning / keeping the engine clean as you continue to rack up the miles.

M1 EP 5W-30 with a Fram Ultra or just a genuine Toyota filter
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
M1 EP 5W-30 with a Fram Ultra or just a genuine Toyota filter
wink.gif

5w 30 synthetic and the OEM Denso. That took my brother about 200 K on a V6 4runner with not a hint of a problem. Toyota has no interest in supplying OEM "junk" and I trust their judgement.

V8 or V6?

I've run whatever 5w30 syn or syn blend on sale. Right now it's Valvoline Synpower w/Maxlife. The motor isn't too picky with the OEM maintenance light set to 5k OCI's.

I also picked up a pack of 10 OEM filters for $40 of Amazon.

Any, I mean any SN 5w30. If there is no sign of neglect pick what you like, these engines are not sensitive. I would probably run the Castrol magnetic 5w30 at this time in product land in that 1grfe.

I have a 2007 with the v6 also. I run chevron supreme 5w30

Why?

Because it's cheap at both Costco and Walmart and it's a syn blend.

I run about 5k ocis per the dummy light and burn/lose (not sure) half a quart per oci since i got it at 98k. Do you know if you lose any oil?

I think you could probably run any SN rated oil at the recommended 5k oci. I've heard these engines aren't too picky

Any 5/10W30 will do fine in this engine. Couple it with the Mobil One M1-209 filter and leave it on for 3 OCI's. This has been done by myself on a dozen plus Toyota 3.4's and 4.0 engines. Never had an issue in over 500K driven with this combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back