Cruise control deactivation switch -Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good one for the Panther guys. Anyway, I think I made a mistake trying to install this, versus getting the wrong part. Let me try to explain...

A few months ago, I ordered a new cruise control deactivation switch from Rock Auto for my '01 Grand Marquis (Motorcraft p/n SW-5957, Ford p/n 1F1Z-9F924-AB). I finally had a chance to try and put it in today, but I had problems getting it in. My guess was because the plunger is longer (maybe 1/2"?) on the new switch than the original one.

I can tell you that it has the adjustable pedals (first year for the option), but I don't think it makes a difference based on all the research I've done so far. All the other part store sites say that my new switch is the correct part. Perhaps, I need to push down the brake pedal or maybe I need to cut down the plunger? Any suggestions? Thanks everyone.

By the way, here is a picture of the old (top) and new (bottom) switches.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You mean the cruise control actually pushes on the accelerator pedal ?

Mine pushes on the throttle body lever.

This is actually the deactivation switch that is controlled by the brake pedal.

You have to find the one with the right length. When I swapped the adjustable pedals into my CVPI from my LX, I initally used the LX CC switch. I can't remember if it was longer or shorter, but it caused an engine code and CC was inop. It has something to do with the master cylinder and brake booster adjustment since I put the original CVPI switch back in and it worked perfect.
What is the exact length of the plunger on your original?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
You have to find the one with the right length. When I swapped the adjustable pedals into my CVPI from my LX, I initally used the LX CC switch. I can't remember if it was longer or shorter, but it caused an engine code and CC was inop. It has something to do with the master cylinder and brake booster adjustment since I put the original CVPI switch back in and it worked perfect.
What is the exact length of the plunger on your original?

Uh oh, that's what I was afraid of.

The exact length is 5/8th of an inch... and the new one is 1 and 3/16ths of an inch, just in case it's useful.

If you can't find it at a dealer, give Stoystown auto wreckers in Stoystown Pennsylvania a call. You can find them via a simple Google search. They are huge, and can UPS the part to you.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
If you can't find it at a dealer, give Stoystown auto wreckers in Stoystown Pennsylvania a call. You can find them via a simple Google search. They are huge, and can UPS the part to you.

I appreciate that, Jim. Thanks!

I just checked the catalog and that is the only number listed for a 9F924 an a 2001 Grand Marquis. The original number had a suffix of -AA and updates to -AB. I am still on vacation, but when I get back and I can reset my password to see what Ford says.

The number is actually printed on the switch. Its microscopic, but I can still get enough to back track the number.
My short switch from my CVLX has a number 2F1T-9F924-AA which comes up to a Motorcraft SW5955.
My longer switch, from my CVPI is 1F1T-9F924-AA which comes back to Motorcraft SW5957. So, same as your new one.
Try seeing if you can read the number on your original part.

Last edited:
These switches are designed to be long I believe. When you install they are set to the pedal height.
Pedal distances can vary slightly. As a precaution don't push the pin in all the way. Let the pedal
set the height. It may be wise to check the install procedure to be safe.

STAP tech 34yrs

Originally Posted By: bronco79
These switches are designed to be long I believe. When you install they are set to the pedal height.
Pedal distances can vary slightly. As a precaution don't push the pin in all the way. Let the pedal
set the height. It may be wise to check the install procedure to be safe.

STAP tech 34yrs

I would go with this. Can always trim it down.

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
This is actually the deactivation switch that is controlled by the brake pedal.

Oh OK........Now I understand. Gotcha.
thumbsup2.gif

Install it and the first time the pedal goes up and down the switch self sets it self. Done tons of them in my time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back