Mobil 1 Annual Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a look at that the other day at a local Walmart. Personally, I don't think it's worth paying $50 for a 5-quart jug to go 20,000 miles, whereas you can get the EP 15,000 mile version for about $28 and change. I would also have to say that most any synthetic oil would be good for a year, providing that you do not exceed the appropriate OCI for the version that you are using.

Is it a grp III oil? If so,that's an asinine price. If it stays $50 a jug,it'll soon be on the clearance rack.

Along with the 1 year up to 20,000 miles oil filters, what a marketing plan.

It sounds great in theory... but you'd have to rely on their warranty, as no manufacturer would be OK with that kind of interval. I also can't wait to see how it holds up in a turbocharged application around just the 10k mark. Some off the shelf Syn's have trouble keeping up with just that much.

I bet somewhere on the label is their fine print *Always follow your owner's manual's recommendations*(or something to that effect). So if your manual says 3/3K,the Annual Protection guarantee goes straight out the window.

The oil is probably good for the performance claimed by the marketing. The problem is not the technology behind the oil but the acceptance within the market place. A vehicle is a big investment and longer OCI's might be considered too big of a risk when considering the cost of an oil change.

I do 10K OCI's on my 03 4Runner which is about once a year with a 0w-30 synthetic and the Mobil 1 oil filter gets changes every other oil change. There is a recently posted UOA that has all the details.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I bet somewhere on the label is their fine print *Always follow your owner's manual's recommendations*(or something to that effect). So if your manual says 3/3K,the Annual Protection guarantee goes straight out the window.

Your speculation could be correct.
From here...
Quote:
ExxonMobil will replace any lubricant that is defective. In addition, if there is equipment failure due to the lubricant you purchased, and the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of the lubricant, at no cost to you, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the OEM or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.

Though this seems pretty comprehensive at first, that 'or' in "...OEM specifications or the written instructions..." seems conveniently placed to create ambiguity.

Well let's see...40 yrs ago they were advertising 15,000 miles or one year.
So the progression is 125 miles interval added per year.

Only a few companies are willing to predict mileage right now - far fewer in the past.

*Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle’s oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner’s manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. Follow your owner’s manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions.*

This covers their a** if someone's engine seizes up at 20K if their fsm says 3/3K.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
*Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle’s oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner’s manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. Follow your owner’s manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions.*

This covers their a** if someone's engine seizes up at 20K if their fsm says 3/3K.

I'm disappointed in XOM. I always thought of all the oil companies their marketing was head and shoulders above rest. This new oil and their disclaimer is getting me to rethink that. This oil isn't good enough in my initial opinion to sway me away from EP if I was using that. $50, no thanks. I have a feeling this is going to flop right out of the gate.

As I said before if I were to buy a used car and the seller told me they were running an extended drain oil for a 20K interval I'd pass so fast on that car the sellers head would spin. Even if he had a pile of UOA's showing me the oil did great.
27.gif

I anxiously await VOA and UOA reports, unfortunately they won't be coming from me. This oil is too rich for my blood.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
As I said before if I were to buy a used car and the seller told me they were running an extended drain oil for a 20K interval I'd pass so fast on that car the sellers head would spin. Even if he had a pile of UOA's showing me the oil did great.

I'm right there with you on that one!
thumbsup2.gif

Since M1 EP is $28, an additional 5k miles should bump that price to around $35-38 I would guess.

That's going to be a hard seller at 50 bucks!!, would love to see some VOA's UOA's, I'll stick with my AFE and 10k OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back