2006 Odyssey EX-L, 6.5k, much improved with old PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very happy with this report; the first report when I bought it was quite concerning with the iron level. I shortchanged about 3500 miles on PP (pre-GTL) and had a PureOne oil filter on it. Then, I put another batch of PP (pre-GTL) along with a Fram Ultra on it for this 6.5k run. I didn't sample the shortchange OCI, but wasn't super interested. The original sample was an unknown oil (likely Dino), with an unknown OCI (I estimated 6.5k since the oil sticker was that old), so I'm really pleased with dropping the iron level by 23ppm on a similar OCI. I may finally have some faith in Honda engines, but the copper is still a little concerning to me. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I am by no means an expert on analyzing uoa's but i don't see anything to be concerned about. I assume this vehicle is new to you? I'm sure you will be taking better care of it maintenance wise versus the previous owner so just keep up what you're doing.

Also, is this a cylinder deactivation engine? A family member had one in an accord and put over 200k miles on it before trading it. Never had any issues from the engine and didn't burn extra oil. Your engine should last a very long time.

Hmm seems like it's cleaning up well and it looks like your copper wear is 1/4 of the universal average? Not to worry. I'd bet the figures will come down a bit more next time. Surprised Blackstone didn't say on what mileage the universal average was based.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Hmm seems like it's cleaning up well and it looks like your copper wear is 1/4 of the universal average? Not to worry. I'd bet the figures will come down a bit more next time. Surprised Blackstone didn't say on what mileage the universal average was based.

First sample, Blackstone said universal averages for the Odysseys of this vintage is around 6,300 miles. So if my next sample at 9k maintains very close to current levels, I think the Pennzoil Team will be happy, and so will I. I did finally go to a Fram Ultra filter (first time ever, the board finally convinced me it may be OK even though they make the OCOD :)) so we'll see if it shows any benefits over the PureOne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back