2016 Jeep Patriot Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reviews are not really that great on this vehicle, however I'm looking at one because the price is right and its four wheel drive. Any experience with this model would be helpful thanks. 2016 one owner with 20,000 miles.

You're not going to want an FCA vehicle. Especially Jeep. It'll be in the shop for transmission replacements as much as you drive it.

Price is right because it's one of the most unreliable vehicles ever built.

My mom has a 2012 Jeep Patriot Sport 2.0L with 63k miles. It hasn't been that great, luckily it has an extended warranty.

Dealer has replaced the oil pan gasket and timing chain cover gasket for a leak.
A/C compressor went out, that was replaced
Squeaking suspension, extended warranty covered both front struts and lower control arms
Loud whining noise while driving. Dealer initially thought it was the alternator so they put in a new one (extended warranty). That didn't fix it, it was the CVT transmission. It cost $180 for them to change the fluid and it doesn't whine anymore. I don't have much faith in it for the long term though.
It currently has an extremely loud rapid clicking noise under the dash, needs the blend door motor replaced. Haven't done that yet.
Also has a suspension creak in the rear for the dealer to look at when I get it in again.

IMHO, stay away from the Patriot. The Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are significantly better. You should be able to get into a Cherokee for a good price with the excellent Pentastar 3.6L and the ZF 9spd unit, on which opinions are a bit mixed at this point. It isn't generally as highly regarded as their 8spd unit found in the GC and Durango.

Not reliable at all. Same with Fiats and Jeep Cherokees. Ask me how I know as I work on this trash daily; constant problems with them

Originally Posted By: car51
Not reliable at all. Same with Fiats and Jeep Cherokees. Ask me how I know as I work on this trash daily; constant problems with them

Yep. They have some fairly reliable engines but that's where the positives end really.

Thanks for the input. I guess these do live up to their reputation. I see literally lots of these in the area I live, I just assumed the reliability must be decent since they seem to be everywhere guess not. I'll run, not walk away.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
excellent Pentastar 3.6L and the ZF 9spd unit, on which opinions are a bit mixed at this point. It isn't generally as highly regarded as their 8spd unit found in the GC and Durango.

Pentastar 3.2L (only in cherokee right now?)

The 9 speed is tuned more for fuel economy than the 8 speed.

It was massively updated in both hardware and software since its introduction
while all got the software updates the 2016+ also have tons of hardware improvements.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
excellent Pentastar 3.6L and the ZF 9spd unit, on which opinions are a bit mixed at this point. It isn't generally as highly regarded as their 8spd unit found in the GC and Durango.

Pentastar 3.2L (only in cherokee right now?)

The 9 speed is tuned more for fuel economy than the 8 speed.

It was massively updated in both hardware and software since its introduction
while all got the software updates the 2016+ also have tons of hardware improvements.

I keep thinking the engine option is the same as the JGC and Durango, LOL! I am not super familiar with the 3.2L, but know the 3.6L is pretty solid at this point after having some teething pains early on. I would imagine the same holds true for the 3.2L.

Been a long time Jeep owner, those that hate on them just don't get the appeal. They leave more Jeeps for those that enjoy their capability! The Patriot, is ok but a bit dated, but would likely be alright long term, definitely more capable than most other things in its class. I'd do it. They're pretty simple. I do agree that you could probably find a Cherokee for not much more, love my new Cherokee. And my old one as well.

Last edited:
Those that spread factual information about Jeeps know what giant pieces they are
wink.gif

Awful reliability, they drop in value about 30% the nanosecond you first sit in it, and they get about 12L semi truck level MPG.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Those that spread factual information about Jeeps know what giant pieces they are
wink.gif

Awful reliability, they drop in value about 30% the nanosecond you first sit in it, and they get about 12L semi truck level MPG.
What kind of Jeep did do you have?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
wink.gif

131_0612_03_z%2Bpower_wheels_barbie_jeep%2Bfront_view.jpg

OP - What's the asking price? These aren't class leading, but I've had them as rentals and I don't think they're that bad of vehicles. NHHEMI had one, and iirc he liked it a lot and it didn't give him any issues. If the price is right, I would consider it but I certainly wouldn't pay top dollar. By 2016, all the bugs were worked out and the interior improved.

Wife just bought a new Cherokee 4X4 2.4 4 cylinder and she really likes it. It gets slightly better fuel mileage than the 2012 Equinox 4 cylinder it replaced and feels like it has at least the same power. There was $4,500 in rebates on hers (Sport Altitude 4 wheel drive). The Jeep actually cost $24K.

wink.gif

How many have you owned?

I guess my experience with them never leaving me stranded despite some harsh off road miles is invalid according to your wisdom. What do you think of used Wranglers selling for almost new prices? They do. New two door Sahara is like 35k....one a couple years old will be pushing 30 grand still.

I own a 2014 2wd Jeep Patriot
27.gif
. I did a lot of research prior to purchase to attempt to get the real picture, and I still bought one
grin.gif
. My "personal" mechanic's day job is professional mechanic at a Jeep dealer and I learned a lot from him.

It is a very inexpensive, econo box entry level vehicle with the trim and appointments that reflect this. The early generation 2008-2011 reflect the bankrupt state Chrysler was in: major front suspension problems and sun roof leaks were prevalent. FCA just issued an extended warranty for subframe corrosion of some vehicles (2008-2012). There was a makeover in 201l and later years which "seem" to have fixed most of the early problems. The reputation of the early models lives on, though.

The 6 speed Hyundai PowerTech 6F24 transmission (mine) seems to have a solid background in the many other vehicles it is used in. With a drain plug, fluid change is diy possible. The manual transmission has had some issues: some complain of gear noise and a some have had premature clutch failure. The Jatco CVT is mismatched in this application (IMO) and has been very hit or miss. FCA has an agreement not to rebuild them. Replacement only. Jatco has had problems with their CVTs in any vehicle they are used in.

The engine is built in Dundee Michigan and is nearly bullet proof. You get zero hits when googling GEMA engine problems (try that with Subaru). It is a "tractor" engine of sorts and lacks refinement, does not quite get the power it should, nor the MPG it should (boxy, non aerodynamic vehicle). It is a bit "buzzy" in a vehicle that doesn't have a lot of noise insulation. I get upper 20's mpg and the oil dipstick level doesn't budge at 7K OCI's. Very easy to work on. Reliable-yes, refined-no. A few have had problems with the throttle body, $250 and easy diy replacement.

The front suspension problems don't seem to happening in the post 2011 models, so far.

I had a warranty repair for a broken plastic seat trim. Thats about it at 4 years and 50K miles. I would not recommend the vehicle to anyone who wants refinement or tends to be hard on vehicles. I find the 2.4l engine to have more than enough power, but I owned three 4 cyl. Caravans previously (all very low ownership costs), so that reflects my driving needs and wants. I tend to drive my vehicles until they are rusting and falling apart, so depreciation is not so much of a factor for me. I only paid $18K out the door to start out anyway, and I was able to pay cash, saving even more. Insurance is cheap. All this adds up when considering ownership cost.

Many Patriot owners love the classic styling vs. all the other look alike SUV's. It has very moderate off road capabilities and almost no towing capacity (only 2,000lb. with the upgrade package).

It is what it is. I tend to take care of my vehicles and diy as much as feasible, which I believe contributes to ownership satisfaction. I bought mine in spite of the negative reviews and have no regrets. I also looked at Foresters (oil consumption concerns at the time) and the Honda CRV (would not budge of price).

^^ Thank you Sir!

I considered one some years back and based on the research I did and the folks I know that own them, their experiences mirror yours to a "T". 2012+ are the way to go as is the 2.4L GEMA and 6F24 combo. It's a very reliable drivetrain. Obviously there's more parts with the 4x4 version, but you don't see many issues with that on 2012+ either. Like you say, it's an econo-level SUV. As long as that's understood, there should be zero surprises.

Is something like a Forester, RAV4 or CRV better? I guess it depends on what one considers better.

wink.gif

Hilarious. Of course the few people in the world with reliable jeeps are going to defend them. It's actually pretty common sense that they're awful and unreliable now. Common sense > 2 or 3 anecdotes. Just don't even bother trying to argue anymore, ask any respectable well-known car person and they'll tell you FCA is total junk.

wink.gif

Hilarious. Of course the few people in the world with reliable jeeps are going to defend them. It's actually pretty common sense that they're awful and unreliable now. Common sense > 2 or 3 anecdotes. Just don't even bother trying to argue anymore, ask any respectable well-known car person and they'll tell you FCA is total junk.

This the general opinion of most people I've talked too. My parents bought a 2008 Compass new and have 80,000 miles on it. They have replaced the oil pan gasket and an oxygen sensor that's it beside regular maintenance including one set of front brakes. They actually really like the car (even with the CVT). They must have got a good one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back