next pistol idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Try out the Walther PPS original or M2 series.

+1 great for summer carry. With that said I own the sr9c also and with the flat baseplate on the 10rd mag it is just as easy to conceal for summer carry. It's downfall to a PPS or Shield is that the Ruger is thicker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
More of a sub compact 9, but in my experience in a small 9mm it's really hard to beat the Ruger LC9S or LC9S Pro if you don't fancy a safety. Side by side comparison to the G43 I absolutely prefer the LC9S, the trigger alone sets it apart.

No disrespect but folks that take and present SD shooting courses understand that in combat shooting you don't make love to the trigger. You pull it quickly and as you check your "work" through the sight in anticipation of a second shot you release the trigger just enough to reset it. Glock is ideal.

But assuming the OP is not pursuing training in this area.Alsoj I have seen in classes where the Ruger will jump out of the weak hand...slo mo reveals this even with folks that are not newbies.

Target shooting..yes the Ruger is great.

For me ..SD.. LCP/G43

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle

What would you get if you were in my shoes with $500 budget? After a small semi-auto 22 and a compact 9.

$500 wont buy you very much when it comes to better 1911s.

Id personally be looking at either a sig p320 (since Ill bet chicago has funny rules, buy a bigger caliber version so its definite that it isnt 5/10/15 rounds or whatever Chicago allows), and then you can swap multiple body kits to essentially have multiple guns with one trigger kit.

Otherwise Id be buying a G43.

My minimum, for me, is a full size duty style pistol (with a flashlight) for the night stand, a shotgun or rifle (with a flash light) as PRIMARY home defense, a compact conceal carry 9MM (Glock 26 size), and an ultra compact conceal carry pistol (Ruger LCP size)

If my entire collection of guns was burned in a house fire tonight, I would buy these 4 guns tomorrow. It's my absolute minimum.

Long gun
Full size service pistol
Compact conceal carry pistol
Ultra compact conceal carry pistol

So based on that, your next purchase should be an ultra compact pistol. Assuming you have a conceal carry permit (you mentioned carry), its important to carry every single time you leave the house. Based on clothing choices, the Ruger might be too big for certain occasions. If that's the case, a Ruger LCP in the pocket beats a gun left at home, every time.

And don't dismiss the long gun for home defense. Long guns are proper primary arms. Handguns are secondary, backup arms. If money is tight they make Chinese clone shotguns for under $200 that are suitable for home defense.
http://grabagun.com/howa-legacy-sports-int-hat00020-pump-12-20-cyl-syn.html
http://grabagun.com/savage-320-12-18-5-3-5rd-mbl-syn.html

Originally Posted By: CT8
There is nothing nicer than a higher end 9mm 1911.

Agree. I have a Springfield Armory "Loaded" 9mm (the one with stainless finish, etc.) and it cost a little over your budget, though.

You have mentioned you already have a SR9C for carry and home defense. So why not get something along a different line? An all steel target pistol perhaps, instead of continuing on with more polymer? My only "argument" with polymer pistols is they have no soul. They're fine for their intended purpose, which is a knock around and carry self defense service pistol. You have already successfully filled that need. There are a lot of nice, well crafted guns that would fit your budget, or else are just slightly above it. I'm not talking $3K "Barbecue 1911's" either. There are many nice 1911's in the $600.00 to $850.00 range that are very well made. There is also the CZ-75 line that can be had in both black, as well as Stainless Steel. In both polished and matte finish no less, in that same price range.

If you can spend a bit more the Browning Hi-Power is available in a bright blued finish. along with nice checkered Walnut grips. It's a pistol of heirloom quality, that you will be able to hand down to your next generation. Even the E.A.A. Witness line starts out in the mid $600.00 range, and offers all steel construction in several finishes and sizes in both compact and full size models. Any of these weapons would make a nice addition to your collection, and give you something a little different.

Originally Posted By: billt460
You have mentioned you already have a SR9C for carry and home defense.

I think the OP does know what he wants. He thinks he wants a smaller carry gun to carry and then talks about a much bigger for HD. Conflicting concepts. First step is to determine what he "needs"

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: CT8
There is nothing nicer than a higher end 9mm 1911.

Agree. I have a Springfield Armory "Loaded" 9mm (the one with stainless finish, etc.) and it cost a little over your budget, though.

Yeah, I dont think you get that for $500.

Let me nominate a Hi-Point Carbine for HD. I'm on my second one, having sold the first to a buddy of mine. I prefer something that has more oomph than a 9mm; so I go with a 40 S&W. The carbine will give a higher muzzle velocity boost than either a 9mm or a 45ACP.

if you want a pocket carry protection piece then i suggest a naa guardian 32 acp semiauto pistol, stout, small, reliable, excellent warranty. if you want a different tack, how about a ruger single action revolver, either 22lr/wmr single six, or a 357/38/9 blackhawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back