Best Battery Maintainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: raytseng
you shouldn't go with batteryminder as the best for long term tending because it has a flaw of a high backcurrent drain for the led lights when it is unplugged.

Like I wrote in the other thread, this has not been my experience. When not powered, current drain is actually lower than some of the other chargers/maintainers that I own.

Maybe only a certain BM model had this flaw?

Ah if they corrected this great in a later model then great.
Basically if the LED lights are on when unplugged then it's got a drain and you need to be aware.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I have not used that particular Schumacher maintainer but if it's anything like their regular chargers I would avoid it like the plague. They tend to cook batteries with high voltage.

I do have some experience with clore automotive products like the pro Logix chargers and they are excellent products. They make a good maintainer the Solar PL2140.

SOLAR PL2140 6/12 Volt 4.0 Amp PRO-LOGIX Battery Maintainer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U3ZBU2E

Not even remotely true. Measured it several times with a voltmeter.

Which is why I said that I haven't used that model but I and other members have used Schumacher chargers in the past and measured them well above 16 volts which is very abusive

I feel Battery Maintainer ones are the best. Some with lots of phases are expensive. Some the have high and low temp compensation. Needed if the maintaining is not in a warm place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I have not used that particular Schumacher maintainer but if it's anything like their regular chargers I would avoid it like the plague. They tend to cook batteries with high voltage.

I returned 2 Schumacher chargers that would regularly hit 15.5v+ and that was for regular charging.

The voltage display on my Schumacher sc2500a would regularly show 16+ volts, and an actual voltmeter would show actual battery voltage 0.25 to 0.5v higher than the display.

Using it on the AGM setting generallly keeps voltage under 15. I still use it, but I do not trust it on any battery I care about.

I can get Schumacher products for free. Despite that, I have 7 Battery Minders that I bought. The oldest is approaching 20 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back