2014 Ram Limited Slip rear fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I'd like some input here. Most if not all 75w-140's have limited slip additive in them if I am not mistaken, some more than others. So my question is, why does Dodge still recommend to add their limited slip additive to the oil? BTW just changed mine yesterday using Valvoline Synpower, didn't add the extra additive, and felt no grabbing etc of the clutch. If you have to add this to the oil, what makes the Ram limited slip differential that much different than another manufacturer? Thanks in advance.

You only need to add it if it's grabbing/binding/chattering, etc. Grabbing/binding/chattering limited slip units generate more service complaints than smoothly slipping, but almost non-functional limited slip units. So Dodge (and everyone else) simply say to add it.

Since it feels fine to you, I'd say you're good and don't need to add any.

Ram says the LS in my 3500 08 doesn't need an additive. When did they change?

It says its for the 1500 series limited slip but says the 2500/3500 doesn't require it. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it lol

When I changed the fluid in my 2011 I added the fluid, well the GM version. I was using a synthetic 80w-140 that the old tech sheet said did not have the LSD additive. The LSD worked but my subjective opinion was that the clutches were not locking like they once did. I changed the fluid a year later and left out the additive as the new tech sheet said it had the additive. The rear appeared to lock much better under load.

So I found that even with too much additive the LSD worked, albeit not as aggressive. I never once had chatter or any unusual noises from it either. I think it is marketing, Ram wants to sell stuff to make money. What I surmise is that their LSD is no different from any other run of the mill LSD.

I bought a 20 liter pail of Co-op brand group 4 synthetic 80w-140 that worked excellent. Yes I didnt use the magical 75w and the diff did not explode or somehow mysteriously disintegrate. Even with very heavy towing and driving in extreme cold.....

Yeah I see what you are saying. I did own a 2005 Dakota V8, that rear definitely had to have the extra additive, every 20k miles I had to change it as it chewed threw the additive and began to grab, shudder. Most 140 oils I have seen already has some LS additive in it, I just wasn't sure if it was the same level needed that mopar recommended for their oil. I guess the rear will tell me if it starts to grab etc. So far, so good, no grabbing, but only drove it 100 miles. I hope someone knows something I don't, I really don't want to damage the clutch pack.

Originally Posted By: jaynissan12
Yeah I see what you are saying. I did own a 2005 Dakota V8, that rear definitely had to have the extra additive, every 20k miles I had to change it as it chewed threw the additive and began to grab, shudder. Most 140 oils I have seen already has some LS additive in it, I just wasn't sure if it was the same level needed that mopar recommended for their oil. I guess the rear will tell me if it starts to grab etc. So far, so good, no grabbing, but only drove it 100 miles. I hope someone knows something I don't, I really don't want to damage the clutch pack.

Well, I just added a top off amount of Mobil 1 75W-140 to my LS rear end in my 2005 1500 (because pinion seal is dripping) and she hasn't shuddered of grabbed yet.

Plus I had great results with the 80w140 oil. I towed a lot of weight, more than it ever should have and it towed for long distances at highway speeds in the summer heat and the dead of winter. The ring gear looked gorgeous, if that term is appropriate. The oil barely discolored in a year worth of towing heavy and the magnets remained clean.

My new Ram HD now recommends 75w85 or something like that for front and rear. I will be using the several liters of my 140 weight stash in the rear. They say no additive as it is a different style of LSD, gear driven? Regardless they say none needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back