Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, 12k OCI, Infiniti VQ37VHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one will make some a believer
grin.gif
I know it has for me. My car is an Infiniti M37x but it's the same exact engine as the G37 and 370z.

- 2011 M37x, 41,268 current milage
- Filter is a slightly oversized Fram Ultra.
- About 70% local with lots of 3-5mi back and forth dropping off my daughter and going to grandma.
- I wait until 5 min after coolant warms up until I push it.
- Normal to spirited driving with occasional visits to redline.

That's one [censored] of a report. Thanks for sharing!

How many months was the oil run?

Almost exactly a year. I live in North NJ which is a moderate zone. Winters from below 0 to 30s, summers in the high 80s-90s with occasional visits to 100.

Still got 2 jugs of the old stuff M1 0w-40 but staying with synthetic Pennzoil with my 2 Infinitis from now on. Also got 5 jugs of 5w-30 PU from a rebate sale ready to rock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperValue
Almost exactly a year. I live in North NJ which is a moderate zone. Winters from below 0 to 30s, summers in the high 80s-90s with occasional visits to 100.

Still got 2 jugs of the old stuff M1 0w-40 but staying with synthetic Pennzoil with my 2 Infinitis from now on. Also got 5 jugs of 5w-30 PU from a rebate sale ready to rock.

Is this PU older stuff or PUP?

Thank you sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: sir1900
When you say "slightly oversized Fram Ultra", do you mean the 7317?

Exactly. Just a bit taller.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Solid report - no make up oil in 12K? Thanks for posting.

None. I checked every so often and it was fine.

Originally Posted By: car51
Is this PU older stuff or PUP?

Sorry about the confusion. This report is non-ultra Pennzoil Platinum. The stuff I bought on rebate is Ultra and using that going forward. Think I'll try the 14k OCI.

Originally Posted By: BrewCityR
Very nice. I intend on buying an M37 or M56 later this year. Not sure if I want AWD(x) and/or S.
smile.gif

Wisconsin? Gotta do the X. Besides the weight penalty there isn't much else that's a compromise. ATTESA ET-S is RWD except when when you first accelerate (they did this to prevent diving) and of course when's there's slippage. Otherwise it's 100% torque to the rears.

The M37 is fantastic. Handles as good as any other midsize lux car I tested plus you get the reliability and cheaper maintenance of Japanese cars. My old Audi was so expensive to fix and I tend to keep cars along time.

BTW, lots of reviews say V8 is a bit nose heavy. You don't lose much with the V6 believe me it's a great amount of power. Besides the fact used M56s are hard to find. There's also the M35h hybrid which looked awesome but very, very rare.

Last edited:
Gotta thank the crew here for hooking me up with this info. I was a long time lurker and got hooked on M1 0w-40 back in the day. Now its PP and PU and Fram Ultras. This is my contribution to the forum since there wasn't much VQ37 data out there.
smile.gif

That's good to hear your 3.7 has plenty of grunt. The M56s are 200 lbs. heavier but have over 100 more ft./lbs. of torque plus about $3-5,000 more than an M37.

Again, I'm still not sure what I'll go for quite yet.

Dedicated winter tires would happen AWD or not as it's nice to have peace of mind/confidence on bad winter days.

All the best to you!

I'm a little new here to the site. I'm still learning but I thought the common thought is that Fram kinda sucks. Shocked that you went 12k miles with a Fram. Nice.

Originally Posted By: amalik
I'm a little new here to the site. I'm still learning but I thought the common thought is that Fram kinda sucks. Shocked that you went 12k miles with a Fram. Nice.

Lmao.

Who were you before this screen name?

Originally Posted By: amalik

Heh! This post a time warp back to the year 2000? The Fram Ultras are very well respected here as among the best filters out there period.

Impressive report, 12000 miles, low Fe wear numbers (17ppm), viscosity is still in grade (9.86 cSt) and you still have some TBN left (2.0).

PP 5W30 looks average on paper with 690 ppm Zn, 2184 ppm Ca and 43 ppm Mo. Not bad, but not big either, but these results definitely speak for themselves. That's a fine UOA.

That is pretty great. I haven't followed the latest vq37hr motors, but I understood the VVEL on the earlier ones used to really chew up oil in the heads at high RPM, I don't know if they changed the design.

I plan to get a Q70s (preferably V8 while they still exist) at some point, but I never see the right combination for sale. My wife wants an FX50 or QX whatever it is now, but they are also extremely rare. I currently have an FX45 that we love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back