How thin / thick is too much from OEM specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma with the 2.4 motor. The truck has been perfectly maintained and runs without a hiccup.

My owners manual calls for 5W-30. At about 155,000 I switched to Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30, a Fram Ultra filter, and I now have about 170,000 miles on the motor.

My local Walmart is no longer selling the Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 but they do sell the Castrol EDGE with Fluid Titanium in a 0W-40 that's made in Belgium. I've always been intrigued by the "Made in Belgium" Castrol, but I'm wondering if I might encounter leaks since it's thinner while cold or a noticable impact on fuel mileage since it's thicker at operating temperature? Maybe I should just look a little harder to find the 5W-30 that I've been using since my truck seems to be pretty happy with it?

Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 Product Data Sheet - http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/6BD5DE4872AB5E8B80257E7D006877B9/$File/BPXE-9C77UN.pdf

Castrol EDGE with Fluid Titanium 0W-40 Made in Belgium (Note - I think this is the correct Product Data Sheet) - http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/E0076647793EFC7B80257EAF002CAC93/$File/BPXE-A2A2UV.pdf

Thank you for your feedback!

Ed

Originally Posted By: Trav
In your climate its no problem at all.

Thank you Sir.

smile.gif

I guess I'm just a little worried about developing a leak(s). Do you think that's a needless worry?

Ed

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Leaks from what?

Maybe because it's slightly thinner while cold?

Ed

Seals and gaskets stop leaks. If they're functional they won't leak so changing fluid won't cause any leaks. (the false seal effect only applies to damaged seals)

Like trav said climate is the main factor - I would not hesitate to use 20w50 in a Prius in the Sahara, and I would be happy to use 0w20 in a Hellcat at the South Pole. Any of your options would be absolutely fine
smile.gif

Nope, if you have no leaks now, very unlikely the difference of 0 and 5 makes any difference. I know Toyota backspec'd alot of engines for use on 0w..regardless you wont have any concern..ive run 0w40 in my corolla...honestly couldnt tell any diff in mileage between 0w20 and 0w40, so try the 0w40 if thats whats speaking to you
smile.gif

I'm actually not sure that the 0W40 would be thinner than your old 5W30 for what passes as cold weather in Sacramento!
I'm not sure of the real answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 0W40 was still thicker around freezing. The 0W/5W ratings are for really extreme cold, -35C/-31F cranking and -40C/-40F pumping for the 0W and -30C/-22F cranking and -35C/-31F pumping for the 5W.

Also keep in mind that, no matter how "thin" either of them are in the cold, they're both much, much "thinner" at operating temps.

Originally Posted By: Ether
The 5w30 is actually thinner @ 40c than the Edge 0w40

That's perfectly normal and expected, correct?

The Edge 0w-40 is thinner while cold, but thicker at operating temperature, correct?

Ed

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
But at that mileage, I'd take the 0W-40. Or save a few bux and get Rotella T6 5W-40 and cruise on
smile.gif

Please enlighten me about your mileage comment - why would you choose the 0W-40 -vs the 5W-30 that I'm currently running? What's your rationale?

Ed

40 c is almost 100 degrees!
The 5w30 will be MORE VISCOUS than the 0w40 likely down to -25 > -30C.

Is all about gelling near the wax point.

In going more viscous, Just try the stuff what? No use bench racing with the dopes - what is it going to do other than make the engine it a bit sluggish? Might be nice experiment for the hot summer. ACEA A3 /MB/VAG spec oils are MILES AHEAD of ILSAC weasel wee.

In other countries Toyota specs 5W30 and 5W40 in the Hilux which has the same 2.4l engine. So you're good with 0W40.

From what I've read, anecdotally, oil weight doesn't matter as much as a lot of people worry. Now if you're running 0w-16 in a Cummins, you're an idiot. And if you're running 20w-50 in a Prius in Canada, you're an idiot. But if your car calls for say 0w-20, you're not going to hurt it with 5w-30 other than the warranty. Or if you car calls for 5w-30 a 10w is not going to murder it.

I'm more inclined to call going up a weight or two much safer than going down a weight or two, but as always something is better than nothing.

Last edited:
here in PA 10X XX oils work fine as they will where you live, A 10-30 or 10 or 15 W40 if your using oil. oils with a higher viscosity index thin or thicken slower + generally oils with smaller spreads of viscosity are better because they require less viscosity improvers, + that is the "tip of the iceberg" as there are a lot of variables in oil blends!

As others have said, the oil will be far far thicker when cold than it is when hot. The first number represents cold cranking pump-ability. It's not the actual viscosity of the oil, eg. it's not a 0 weight. The numbers on the oil bottles are basically just a grade that the oil has met and each grade has upper and lower viscosity limits that the oil must fall within.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back