Liqui Moly Ceratec

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I didn't think Ceratec was advertised as raising oil pressure. Maybe its good for that too, or maybe the addition of it thickened your oil?
wink.gif

Liqui-Moly doesn't advertise at raising OP, but users on various forums clain that when the "glassy surface" fills in defects in the bearings, your OP will go up.

Interesting, thanks. I wonder if the same holds true for their MoS2? It stopped an old mower of mine from puffing smoke when it first started. I thought that might have been imperfections in the cylinder wall being filled in by the product.

I didn't think Ceratec was advertised as raising oil pressure. Maybe its good for that too, or maybe the addition of it thickened your oil?
wink.gif

Liqui-Moly doesn't advertise at raising OP, but users on various forums clain that when the "glassy surface" fills in defects in the bearings, your OP will go up.

I think LiquiMoly MoS2 does not work to increase OP since the particle is too small to stack against any defects. The old Mos2 with bigger particle size may do increase OP.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
wink.gif

I think LiquiMoly MoS2 does not work to increase OP since the particle is too small to stack against any defects. The old Mos2 with bigger particle size may do increase OP.

Are the Ceratec particles bigger than the MoS2 particles? If so would they still pass easily through an oil filter? I never used Ceratec.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Similar size. and 1 µm is not small when it comes to oil leaks. It's small for an oil filter though.

The reason I asked is because if it is close in size then maybe the MoS2 can have the same impact as Ceratec at increasing oil pressure in certain instances like the one above in this thread.

wink.gif

Are the Ceratec particles bigger than the MoS2 particles? If so would they still pass easily through an oil filter? I never used Ceratec.

The Ceratec is even smaller I believe or at least the characteristic is easier to disperse, that makes it worse on the plugging any hole. Liguimoly recommend Ceratec for newer car and MOS2 for older cars, but I find even for older cards Liquimoly MoS2 particle is too small.

I still remember vividly during my old days with mineral oil, the engine will feel very tight when I add MoS2, and it only get better after running 5k (where the oil has gone thinner).

The Ceratec is even smaller I believe or at least the characteristic is easier to disperse, that makes it worse on the plugging any hole. Liguimoly recommend Ceratec for newer car and MOS2 for older cars, but I find even for older cards Liquimoly MoS2 particle is too small.

I still remember vividly during my old days with mineral oil, the engine will feel very tight when I add MoS2, and it only get better after running 5k (where the oil has gone thinner).

If anything I would have thought higher oil pressure and reduced oil consumption benefits would have gone to the MoS2. I do think it coats and fills imperfections due to the consistency of the product and MoS2's reputation to coat or plate. Your observations seem to back that up. I used it but stopped due to pictures Trav had posted about the product falling out of suspension in vehicles that sit for long periods of time.

Similar size. and 1 µm is not small when it comes to oil leaks. It's small for an oil filter though.

The reason I asked is because if it is close in size then maybe the MoS2 can have the same impact as Ceratec at increasing oil pressure in certain instances like the one above in this thread.

I've seen claims of reduced oil consumption and reduced leaking with MoS2, no reason it wouldn't increase oil pressure in a worn engine either as it'sthe same principle (fill in voids)

I've seen claims of reduced oil consumption and reduced leaking with MoS2, no reason it wouldn't increase oil pressure in a worn engine either as it'sthe same principle (fill in voids)

That's what I'm saying.

That's what I'm saying.

I agree some MoS2 will coat/plate and may fill imperfection, and may end up with increase oil pressure/compression. What I am trying to say the MoS2 made by Liquimoly may not really effective due to the small particle of being used, however it may good for friction reducer on engine with good condition.
Probably I will try the Schaeffer one to compare but so far I am happy with Rislone High Mileage Compression Repair.

No. Low compression not low oil pressure would come from scars and voids in the rings and cylinder walls.

Oops. I meant "bearings."

Maybe, but doubtful. Assuming you used the same grade oil as before, I think the fresh oil from changing it would have more of an impact on increasing oil pressure. See how long the new found higher oil pressure lasts. Keep us updated!

Yep I agree, it would not increase the oil pressure other than a very minor effect caused by the base oil used (It seems slightly thicker than most engine oils, although I've not checked actual figures) and a factional reduction in friction which would lower the oil pressure by an infinitesible amount.
If you see an increase after use it's probably caused by the new oil.

For those interested in the difference between Ceratec and MoS2, I would not forget that Ceratec does contain some Moly. It seems to cause a jump in a UOA Moly figure of about 200 ppm for a 5 liter sump.
Also it needs to be used every oil change, as the comment in the LM PDS that says it lasts upto 50K km assumes the oil was not changed.
I only use half a can every OCI and the main effect I'm after is not so much wear reduction as I already use Shell Ultra, but an increase in resistance to overheating or coolant contamination of the oil. My partner ignores warning lights and never checks the oil during the 2 month tours I'm doing overseas. My 1.9 TDI is also rather old, so a HG failure is a definte possibility.

Ultra, with having to replace the Ceratec at every oil change that could get expensive. Would just using the MoS2 which is much cheaper give you the same benefit? I am currently using the MoS2 as I can purchase it at our local car parts store but Ceratec would have to be ordered online as I have been unable to locate it in my area other than Amazon. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
Ultra, with having to replace the Ceratec at every oil change that could get expensive. Would just using the MoS2 which is much cheaper give you the same benefit? I am currently using the MoS2 as I can purchase it at our local car parts store but Ceratec would have to be ordered online as I have been unable to locate it in my area other than Amazon. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

No. also using extra Moly with an oil that already contains enough is a waste of money, apart from some degree of extra protection if you run out of oil or the engine overheats. It might also result in a very small MPG increase in some cases.

Good oil additives cost money, there is not much you can do about that issue, although in many cases it's worth doing a UOA series to check if half a can is enough to reduce the wear metals (The Fe figure per mile is the one to look at).

Last edited:
Way to walk the safe line.
What are your views on Brexit ?

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: mctmatt

No. also using extra Moly with an oil that already contains enough is a waste of money, apart from some degree of extra protection if you run out of oil or the engine overheats. It might also result in a very small MPG increase in some cases.

Good oil additives cost money, there is not much you can do about that issue, although in many cases it's worth doing a UOA series to check if half a can is enough to reduce the wear metals (The Fe figure per mile is the one to look at).

I like German Liqui Moly oil additives and their top of the range Synthoils, BUT I never agreed to allowing Germany and France to control my own countries destiny, so voted to leave.
The commonwealth is in great shape and we will rebuild our empire based on its good relationships with its different members.
God save the Queen!

PS: My UOA results from using Shell Ultra are just as good as from LM Synthoil High Tech 5w40 and it's significantly cheaper. I don't use HC synthetics in any engine with a turbo, but do sometimes use cheaper major brand oils in my old petrol Renault town car, although I do beef them up with Ceratec due to a worn cam phaser bearing.

I have been reading this and other forums and wanted to give Cera Tec a go but it is not available in Australis
frown.gif
So, the only option I have is Motor/Engine protect. The problem with engine protect is that you have to reduce the oil by 500ml which is something I cannot do simply because I don't' have the tools and probably skills to do it on this car - it is 2016 diesel engine with no dipstick (was thinking of extracting the 500ml..) and underbody cover that seems complicated to remove.

I was thinking as compromise to get Engine/Motor Protect and add only half of it after this service and the rest after the next service. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

0.5 liter over wont hurt any, but if you're partly through the oci you probably won't need the full treatment anyway. What engine are we talking anyway? if it's an engine using the common rail injectors to perform dpf and/or NOx trap regenerations fuel entering the oil is quite possible and the oil level will rise as a result. Never seen any issues with the higher oil level until you're well over 1000ml higher.

0.5 liter over wont hurt any, but if you're partly through the oci you probably won't need the full treatment anyway. What engine are we talking anyway? if it's an engine using the common rail injectors to perform dpf and/or NOx trap regenerations fuel entering the oil is quite possible and the oil level will rise as a result. Never seen any issues with the higher oil level until you're well over 1000ml higher.

The engine is Volvo's Drive-E 2.0 Iitre four cylinder common rail twin-turbo diesel. It is small engine, reason I'm not sure about adding the whole 500ml.

Interesting about using it at every oil change.

For demanding high performance applications (high RPM NA, high output turbo, etc), I wonder what would do better in anti-wear:

Castrol/M1 0w40 + Ceratec every 8k miles
Redline 10w40 every 8k miles.

The cost would be nearly the same per oil change.

Back