92 Toyota Pickup 2wd brake bushings/pin boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a used 92 Toyota Pickup 2wd recently, and on the front I installed all new Timken bearings/races, new rotors, and new brakes. The caliper bolts to the torque plate with sliding pins. On the drivers side, the bushings on the upper sliding pin were completely gone, and I did notice that it was causing the pads to wear unevenly.

Could not find any bushings locally in stock, so ordered a Carlson 16005 pin boot kit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C00Y68/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found a FSM on a 93 Toyota pickup that's just like my brakes, and it says to use a plastic bar to install the longest sliding bushing into the sliding pin side. Don't have a plastic bar, so what can I use to to get those long bushings installed? Going to replace all the boots/bushings, and don't want to take all day to do it.

Here is the FSM on the brake bushings/boots at the bottom of BR-31 step 4.

http://htftp.offroadsz.com/marinhaker/programi/toyota/Brake System/7-2wdfs171.pdf

Bushings/boots came in today, and there was no way the long boot was going in without tearing the back side out of it. A 1/4 drive extension worked good to get it started in the caliper sliding pin bore hole, but it would not go all the way in. I had the hole, and the outside of the boot lubed good with silicone grease. Did get the smallest plug, and the middle size boot installed, and those two will keep water, and dirt out of the sliding pin bore hole.

Big pain in the a** to get that long boot installed. Next time I change brakes I will take the torque plate off, and take a wire brush on a drill, and give the caliper pin sliding bore a good cleaning, and that might help get them installed. Anyway, I think it will be OK for now. Will pull caliper sliding pins about every six months, and coat them with some Silglyde.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back