Semi-auto AR-style shotguns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'd go with a number of platforms over this for home defense for multiple reasons, including a plain ol' lightweight AR. Looks neat though, I wonder how reliable they are? This has been tried before and didn't work out too well.

Can't believe you can't have a loaded firearm in your house. Eff that.

Originally Posted By: JDM396
Personally, I'd go with a number of platforms over this for home defense for multiple reasons, including a plain ol' lightweight AR. Looks neat though, I wonder how reliable they are? This has been tried before and didn't work out too well.

Can't believe you can't have a loaded firearm in your house. Eff that.

If I could, I'd just keep the Mossy 500 loaded in the cabinet and problem solved. I can't, so then one gets creative. This is me getting creative, LOL! ;-)

Also, the AR-15 is restricted up here, so that's a non-starter.

I have a 10rd mag for my .308 and a 5-round one for the .338LM. I am looking into a 10 for the latter but have to see that it clears the bench first. But both of those guns are pretty bulky, unlike an AR. So barring the 12-gauge, something that is "AR-ish" like this, or a semi .308 like a Robinson...
21.gif

I like the idea of a reliable mag fed 12-gauge for HD duty. But it is the reliability of the Turkish guns that has me concerned. My Mossy goes boom every time, will this?

Turk guns generally work pretty well. Their arms industry has a pretty long history of making complex designs via license agreement from firms like HK and Beretta. The only concern here would be how the mags feed as the bolt and gas system design are well proven.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yup, they are NR, because they only "resemble" an AR-15, they aren't actually based on the platform.

LOL, down here, if you make your legal firearm substantially resemble a fully auto (vague definition) then it's by definition prohibited.

That's the issue. It would have to be disabled, stored separately from the ammo, or, if you hve a gun safe, you can store the gun(s) and ammo together in the safe. But of course none of the guns can be loaded in the safe. The easiest workaround then is to have loaded mags in the safe with the guns. This makes for the fastest possible way to get from unloaded to loaded and still remain legally compliant.

That's the most insane thing I've ever heard. If it were me I would get a good Mossberg 590 A-1, or a Remington 870, and keep it out of sight and ready to go. Only unload it when the "Magazine Police" come to check. My life is more valuable then their insane, stupid laws.

Well I'm completely ignorant to Canadian laws but it seems the Tavor is or will be legal? Can you head that route or is there some sort of goofy mag restriction? The reason is that for home defense you want less bulk and length.

Originally Posted By: billt460
That's the issue. It would have to be disabled, stored separately from the ammo, or, if you hve a gun safe, you can store the gun(s) and ammo together in the safe. But of course none of the guns can be loaded in the safe. The easiest workaround then is to have loaded mags in the safe with the guns. This makes for the fastest possible way to get from unloaded to loaded and still remain legally compliant.

That's the most insane thing I've ever heard. If it were me I would get a good Mossberg 590 A-1, or a Remington 870, and keep it out of sight and ready to go. Only unload it when the "Magazine Police" come to check. My life is more valuable then their insane, stupid laws.
You are not a subject !

Originally Posted By: JDM396
Well I'm completely ignorant to Canadian laws but it seems the Tavor is or will be legal? Can you head that route or is there some sort of goofy mag restriction? The reason is that for home defense you want less bulk and length.

Quote:
A civilian legal, Israeli made version of the Tavor TAR-21 has been available in Canada since 2007. These sporting carbines are built to be semi-automatic only, and feature an 18.5″ barrel. They have gone through several upgrades, but generally fall into two variants: the original model which retailed in the $3000-$3400 range and included a Mepro 21 passive red dot sight and folding BUIS, or the new flattop model with integrated back up iron sights in the full length optics rail.

A number of 14″ barrels were also imported, which allow the rifle to be converted into a CTAR clone similar to the one used by the IDF. However these short barrels do require re-registration with the Canadian Government.

http://tar21.com/iwi-tavor-tar21-rifle-in-canada/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back