Big Tires More Profitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember also that Europe has pedestrian safety laws that generally mean higher hoods. Higher hoods need bigger fenders which need bigger tire+wheel diameter.

I get that for the price.

There was a question about which tire is more expensive to produce? Obviously, without getting into trade secrets...

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
what individual buys 200,000 (or up to a million) of the same tire, delivered on an even and regular basis, in full truck loads, to the same place, for a year, with no warranty, directly from the manufacturer (meaning distributor nor retailer). Do that and you too can get that price.

OEM's skip on the warranty? Never thought of that, but it makes sense. Too many tire issues and the vendor gets dropped, so it's not that they can drop the ball on quality. But since they aren't dealing with Joe Schmoe they can save a few bucks on customer service.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

There was a question about which tire is more expensive to produce? Obviously, without getting into trade secrets...

Relatively speaking, belts are expensive. Also, low profile, high speed rated tires have cap plies.

So an extremely low profile, V rated tire is going to be expensive compared to a comparable high profile, S rated tire - even though they go on the same vehicle.

And don't forget that extremely low profile tires are not as plentiful as the garden variety all season tire that everyone produces.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I dont believe that profit margin for a second! I can walk into pep boys and pay $145 for a tire. But if I buy it through my commercial account its $85.

you are confusing mfg bulk sale against retail sale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
what individual buys 200,000 (or up to a million) of the same tire, delivered on an even and regular basis, in full truck loads, to the same place, for a year, with no warranty, directly from the manufacturer (meaning distributor nor retailer). Do that and you too can get that price.

OEM's skip on the warranty? Never thought of that, but it makes sense. Too many tire issues and the vendor gets dropped, so it's not that they can drop the ball on quality. But since they aren't dealing with Joe Schmoe they can save a few bucks on customer service.

Every new car Ive ever bought has had a tire warranty flier (or three) in the owner's manual pack. Maybe even with this the manufacturer self-warrants to those terms?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: supton

Every new car Ive ever bought has had a tire warranty flier (or three) in the owner's manual pack. Maybe even with this the manufacturer self-warrants to those terms?

You should read the warranty booklet. The warranty on tires that comes with a new car is a *no frills* warranty. No mileage, no road hazard, no vibration - only materials and workmanship.

Quote:
....You should read the warranty booklet. The warranty on tires that comes with a new car is a *no frills* warranty. No mileage, no road hazard, no vibration - only materials and workmanship....

I've gotten a prorated adjustment at DT on two different vehicle's OE tires that got punctures in non repairable areas. First on BFG Rugged Trail on an Explorer. And second more recently, Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max on Accord. Both times DT called the manufacturer and I got what I considered to be a fair adjusted price on a new replacement. Significant savings over same tire at full price.

It's similar procedure they follow for tire punctures in non repairable areas on tires they sell, though iirc the call to the tire manufacturer not needed.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Relatively speaking, belts are expensive. Also, low profile, high speed rated tires have cap plies.

So an extremely low profile, V rated tire is going to be expensive compared to a comparable high profile, S rated tire - even though they go on the same vehicle.

And don't forget that extremely low profile tires are not as plentiful as the garden variety all season tire that everyone produces.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back