Engine shots - 07 Accord @ 100k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took off the valve cover to do the 100k valve adjustment and replacement of the valve cover/spark plug tube gaskets. Here's the view under the valve cover:

m55yBMH.jpg

Oil changes per OLM (typically 7.5-10k intervals). Mostly run on synthetic blends up until about 60k miles, then switched over to Mobil 1 EP 5W-20. Honda 15400-PLM-A01 filter used each time since ~60k miles, prior that a mix of the Filtech A01 and Honeywell A02 filters.

Interestingly, the clearance on every single valve was in spec. A couple required very minor adjustments to bring them back into the middle of the specified range, but all remained in spec even after 100k miles.

Last edited:
I suspect the blends left little for the Mobil 1 EP to clean up. Motor oils have been that good for quite some time....
Plus it's a Honda mill which means it's a well designed engine!

How do the cams measure? - stunning cleanliness means little. The EX will have recessed as the clearance tappet/rocker increases so they are "self adjusting" The Intakes should be ~ 0.002 out /loose

Last edited:
Looks great considering that it does not have a bunch of miles on it for its age.
keep doing what you're doing!

Nice job-I have the same engine in an 05 Accord.
The pic shows my concern with Honda cams--compare this pic (and my engine also BTW) with a pic of a Toyota cam: one looks new and one doesn't, which is why I went over to 5 or 10-30 after 101K
Keep up the good work
Steve

Originally Posted By: AccordK24
Took off the valve cover to do the 100k valve adjustment and replacement of the valve cover/spark plug tube gaskets. Here's the view under the valve cover:

m55yBMH.jpg

Oil changes per OLM (typically 7.5-10k intervals). Mostly run on synthetic blends up until about 60k miles, then switched over to Mobil 1 EP 5W-20. Honda 15400-PLM-A01 filter used each time since ~60k miles, prior that a mix of the Filtech A01 and Honeywell A02 filters.

Interestingly, the clearance on every single valve was in spec. A couple required very minor adjustments to bring them back into the middle of the specified range, but all remained in spec even after 100k miles.

Just courious did you adjust the valves off cam? I've never adjusted valves before.

Originally Posted By: steve20
The pic shows my concern with Honda cams--compare this pic (and my engine also BTW) with a pic of a Toyota cam: one looks new and one doesn't, which is why I went over to 5 or 10-30 after 101K
Keep up the good work

Steve

My precious and current Accord (both with K24 engines) also have the same look to the cams. It's normal.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How do the cams measure? - stunning cleanliness means little. The EX will have recessed as the clearance tappet/rocker increases so they are "self adjusting" The Intakes should be ~ 0.002 out /loose

As mentioned in OP, all valve clearances were in spec at 100k miles. Intake is spec'd at 0.008-0.010" cold, exhaust 0.011 to 0.013". A few of the intakes were close to 0.010, and a few of the exhausts were close to 0.011, but none were outside the factory spec. I did some very minor adjustments to bring all the intake valves to 0.008-0.009 and all of the exhaust valves to 0.012-0.013 as they tend to tighten over time.

Was actually pleasantly surprised that no valves were out of clearance spec after 100k miles. Older generation Hondas usually called for a valve adjustment every 30-50k miles, but it seems like the K series motors can go quite a lot longer.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

Just courious did you adjust the valves off cam? I've never adjusted valves before.

It's pretty easy, there are marks on the cam gears to ensure you correctly hit TDC on the cylinder you are adjusting. This ensures the cam lobes are not engaging the valves. You can also stick a long screwdriver down the spark plug hole and use that to ensure TDC is reached before you make any adjustments to the valve clearance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I'm at 160K on our V. Maybe it's time to check the valves.

My first & only adjustment was at 177K--all within spec--don't think I'll be doing it again; currently at 249K miles
Steve

Cam lobe wear on the k24 is normal. Every single picture I've seen of a k24 has the same wear.

I adjusted the wife's 2005 TSX k24 valves at 135k. Majority of them were loose and out of spec.

After adjustment, it's like a brand new car. Engine revs much easier, pulls harder, runs quieter.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: steve20
Keep up the good work

Steve

My precious and current Accord (both with K24 engines) also have the same look to the cams. It's normal.

Edit: PREVIOUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back