How do I identlfy an Exide battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure Exide only makes Exide branded batteries. Nothing else I've ever found is made by them. The only other brand their website mentions for light vehicles (as in, anything smaller than a commercial truck) is Fulmen. Never heard of that brand or seen it though.

Don't worry about brand though, worry about which battery has the longest free warranty.

Last edited:
Exide might have two rectangle vent caps for starters batteries at least they did about 7 years ago or whenever Walmart last sold them before switching to the jci

The east Penn flooded batteries should have no large caps sometimes individual caps or mostly sealed and the Johnson control will have octagon vent caps.

You can read the manufacturer information on the stickers east Penn are Pennsylvania made you should be fine with anything the only Exide batteries around here are from pep boys or anyone else selling under Bosch

Home Depot have Exide brand batteries as well as a budget brand called Titan which is also made by Exide.

Looks like you can get them in your area.

Oops, thought you wanted an Exide battery. Well maybe next time you're in HD you can inspect one to help identify them elsewhere.

Most, if not all of the Bosch-branded batteries at Pep Boys are made by Exide.

One distinguishing feature of some Exide cases are the captive nylon straps as handles. They all have large white stickers clearly marked with the production date and other warning language, unlike the little round ones that JCI prefers.

Originally Posted By: horse123

Don't worry about brand though, worry about which battery has the longest free warranty.
I have had no luck with exide made batteries. Imo absolute garbage! They leak and destroy the cables.

If you go to a NAPA, O'Reillys, Autozone, or Advance Auto you won't get an Exide. NAPA and O'Reilly sell East Penn made batteries. Autozone and Advance sell Johnson Controls. Wal Mart batteries tend to be a mix of the two depending on area. In my area, it is Johnson Controls.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Go to AAP and they'll give you a JCI battery.

Done.

With an awful warranty. Nope.

The Exides I've seen have a white date sticker on the side of the case. Squared-off vent caps are also one good way to spot them - Exide does make OEM batteries for Mopar and Toyota.

i have used several east penn manufactured batteries with long life + no issues. check the date codes on sealed batteries as they are active when built, batteries stored dry with acid added at purchase time are fresh until then + always fully charge a new battery before installing if possible

Rural King car batteries are Exide. I had one and it did OK, no corrosion or acidic leakage like with JCI batteries. Not their large batteries for trucks, the last time I looked.

Do you have an Oreilly Auto Parts around? They carry Deka.

As said, WM will have the JCI. They have their Value Start too for ~$48.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back