Has anyone replaced iPhone battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone has any recommendation for a battery for iPhone 5S? Any particular place or a seller? Since ebay and Amazon are full of sellers with batteries starting from $6 to $35.

Apple one is pretty expensive and I don't want to go that route. I am planning to DIY, ifixit seems like a good source, but battery is pricey when compared to ebay/amazon etc...

So, any suggestions or pointer in terms of seller for the battery? Thanks so much for the help
thumbsup2.gif

You are DEFINITELY not going to want to do that yourself with no experience. It's not a simple swap out. There's very intricate soldering and special tools required.

Ive replaced screens on older iPhones, haven't messed with the more recent ones, but they look more difficult to me.

Frankly, I'd go with Apple only. Here's why...

The battery can explode,mourn, and make huge problems. Remember Samsung notes? Have you flown recently and gotten the notice that if you have one of these it cannot fly?

You have no idea what you're going to get with an aftermarket li-ion battery. You choose one at your own peril.

I've only replaced iphone screens not batteries, but I have been burned buying a cheepo iPhone 6+ screen on eBay only to have it go bad in a few days and then buy one from ifixit which is still going strong several months later. A battery is a little simpler than a screen, but I feel that ifixit is usually worth the extra money. An iPhone 5S battery from them is $25.
I've bought other parts from ifixit, and a MacBook battery and they've been quality.

It is something you can easily do yourself if you're careful and patient. No soldering is required.

Last edited:
The Apple battery replacement isnt really that, since taking it apart is a pain. They'll trade the old one with a new one. That can help performance since brand new flash memory performs better, and there are other parts that may wear with use.

I've dropped an iPad Mini before, and went to an Apple Store asking about glass replacement. They told me I could pay $249 and get a new one. I didn't feel like paying that much so I asked a friend who was going overseas, and that was done cheap. I think the current $129 glass replacement from Apple for the iPhone is probably mechanically replacing the glass.

Ah, the 5S and 5C

Legends.

They have THE most dangerous battery removal of any phone. The Li-ion battery is GLUED down via adhesive tape directly to the aluminum phone casing.

When prying the battery off the glue it will bend almost 90 degrees (if you don't soften the glue with heat). If the battery casing stretches during bending it tends to tear.

Then the battery grounds on the aluminum casing. Not too bad of a shock to the hand, but it's gonna try its best to start a fire, crackling and popping while it does it.

Either Apple designed the phone to never have its battery replaced, or they designed a phone that requires you to bend a li-ion intentionally.

I hate them either way.

Last edited:
I've done it. Watch a few YouTube videos on it first. Old battery was already bulging and was easy enough to remove. Hardest part was keeping track of those really small screws.

Youtube have a lot of video on how to do it.
There is also site like IFixIt that give a good pictorial instruction.

They also sells the battery and a tool kit if necessary.
It uses Pentalobe screw driver which is included in the kit.
The kit also include plastic spudger to help with removing the battery from the glue.

Just make sure you have a several cup to put different size screw when doing it.

Not to hard I did it with out ever doing one or watching anyone. You can do it it's not to hard. YouTube is your friend!

I have replaced a few batteries on both an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 6.

Ifixit is the way to go. Just pay close attention to how you remove the screws. Make sure you either label the screws or set them aside in a way so you can reinstall them back properly.

The screws are small, but their lengths vary. The wrong screw reinstalled improperly can damage the logic board.

Careful opening the 5S. If you open it too wide, you will tear the home button ribbon.

Watch the YouTube and Ifixit videos...they are a great help.

Thanks everyone, seems like everyone is voting for ifixit and of course, youtibe! Will order a battery/tools from them in the coming days and will give it a go to see how it goes.

Thanks again for all of your help and input.

Originally Posted By: horse123
You are DEFINITELY not going to want to do that yourself with no experience. It's not a simple swap out. There's very intricate soldering and special tools required.
lol no there isnt

I did the batteries in my and my mom's iPhone 4S. I also changed out the lock button and one of the harnesses all with parts from iFixit. Their tools are really nice too.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Their tools are really nice too.

THey definitely are. As iPhones have become more tricky to open, they've continued to develop tools to make it easier. If you like iPhones and/or have a family of iPhones, it's worth it to buy some of the nicer pieces that are a little pricey for a one off job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back