Renewing Black trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boiled Linseed oil, Just do it inside somewhere it can dry without getting covered in leaves/dirt/pollen.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
Boiled Linseed oil, Just do it inside somewhere it can dry without getting covered in leaves/dirt/pollen.

Isn't Linseed oil extremely flammable at room temperature and I think it has a very low flash point temperature, so it might ignite without a flame being present just by being heated. It sounds extremely dangerous. I would have to do some serious research before doing that, and even then I would have a big fire extinguisher that is rated for grease fire radially available. You might also want to do it in a deep pot with a lid near by so you could put the lid on if it ignited.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Originally Posted By: Fsharp

Isn't Linseed oil extremely flammable at room temperature and I think it has a very low flash point temperature, so it might ignite without a flame being present just by being heated. It sounds extremely dangerous. I would have to do some serious research before doing that, and even then I would have a big fire extinguisher that is rated for grease fire radially available. You might also want to do it in a deep pot with a lid near by so you could put the lid on if it ignited.

It's boiled linseed oil, you can buy it at the hardware store. He's not talking about boiling linseed oil himself. And either way, it has no place on my car trim.

I use cheap store brand aerosol furniture polish (lemon Pledge). It keeps things looking wet, reduces dust, and it's easy to apply. I go over everything after each washing to include all of the underhood hoses and plastic pieces. My 1999 BMW engine bay still looks new after 18 years.

I was hopping to find a better solution than the BACK TO BLACK I've been using and you've given me some options to try. Thank you.. Ed

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
No need for chemicals. Turn then heat gun up and hit it.

This, it works great to bring faded trim back to life.

Last edited:
Sorry but basic logic says you're not going to undo years of sun and UV damage by overheating a piece of plastic with a heat gun. It may LOOK better, for the moment, but it's going to get much worse much faster than it was before.

I tried the Back to Black spray and have been pleased with the results. The cowl panels on the Mustang are fading just out of warranty. I popped them off when I was changing the cabin filter and used the spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back