What's up with all the storms forming at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last few months I've noticed that we get these storms that develop randomly in the middle of the night and then an entire line of heavy storms blow through first thing in the morning. Isn't that the I
Opposite of how it works? Usually they develop in the afternoon when it's the hottest.

I think it has something to do with the air getting warmer during the day, at least for thunder storms in the evening.

We had a doozy last night.

News says it might've been a tornado next county over.

Weird in 1: Feb. and 2: NE PA

I was in San Antonio last week and that one last Sunday sure was a doozy. A tornado apparently touched down 3 miles from our hotel.

Back home it was thundering Friday night. Then snow Saturday..

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I was in San Antonio last week and that one last Sunday sure was a doozy. A tornado apparently touched down 3 miles from our hotel.

I live North of San Antonio and that storm was pretty rough. I don't normally wake up for thunder or rain but some of it scared the [censored] out of me when I was sleeping. My car was pretty clean from the rain the next morning, so not complaining there.

As a meteorologist, I'd tell you that it goes way beyond peak heating of the day. That can be a strong component, for sure, but there are so many other things going on. Strengthening flows, increase in moisture, cooling of air aloft... you can't just look at one thing, and you must use all 3 dimensions as well.

77F here friday, 62F sat morning at midnight,27 sat night, 22F sunday morning..

U G H.

Went from sweating getting my bacon burnt laying on concrete doing oil changes on friday.. to scraping ice off window.

Oh and a thunderstorm with 55mph winds in the middle.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

One of the tornados came down a little less than a mile from my house. Too close for comfort. I had the garage full so I was camping out in the underground parking at the mall next to the house.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The last few months I've noticed that we get these storms that develop randomly in the middle of the night and then an entire line of heavy storms blow through first thing in the morning. Isn't that the I
Opposite of how it works? Usually they develop in the afternoon when it's the hottest.

Need to ask Frank Billingsley.

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
Probaly haarp. Look up haarp
I know the former chief engineer, the project was shut down at least three years ago and the site vandalized. Nice try, though.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
They sprayed too much aluminum...

lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
banana2.gif

During the warmer months it usually only rains at night (when it ever does rain). Too hot during the day for the rain to ever hit the ground

I spent most of Sunday afternoon cleaning gutters and reinstalling a missing section. I could feel the humidity increase throughout the afternoon and I was sweating...in Feb! Geesh. Lots of moisture in the air that day, low dark grey clouds, strong line of t-storms running N-S from W. Tx. No doubt a cold front was involved. The atmosphere was just primed to blow up with a large amount of warm/humid air and a cold/dry front strong enough to plow through it. San Antonio had 4 twisters. There were a few Tornado warnings posted by the NWS office in New Braunfels. Plenty of shear & instability in the atmosphere that day/evening. Doppler radar showed several areas of red/green boundaries, and bow echos. Strong straight-line winds were also reported.

Official rainfall close-by was 1.5". Not much. Lost power about 10min. Plenty of lightning in the distance.

It blew through here around midnight and moved through very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back