10w40 oil Not ILSAC Approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doolah02
Would that also be the reason it's not a Group 5 oil?

No. Oil base has nothing to do with it.

I'm sure you could find some 10w-40 oils out there that contain group V.

Thanks I have a stash of Kendall high mileage 10w40. I'LL switch to something that's
Approved when use that oil.

Suppose the 40's market might be inclined to want more ZDDP than ILSAC as well ...
Regardless, 10w40 has some romance to it - so agencies and OEM's must play a significant role in the limited options ...

If you were to make a fuel economy ortiented 10W40 with low HTHS you would run into the problem that 10W-40 was infamous in the 70s and 80s for and that was bad shearing problems.
I refuse to use a 10W-40 unless the HTHS is over 3.5.

Went to Lubrizol sight and read the entire article, kinda confusing but I
did get a good ED U KATE TION, thanks!

Checked HTHS for Kendall High Mileage 10w40...3.9 so I guess I'm in good shape.

Good shape for what? Does your engine require such high HT/HS viscosity?

I'm just a beginner when it comes to oil, just trying to learn all I can from guys like you, car51,4wd and lots of
other knowledgable people on this sight.

Based on your other threads, this is for your 2001 Ford 4.0, correct?

I'm no Ford expert, but I believe Ford was recommending just regular resource conserving 5w-30 oil back then. And that's what I'd be inclined to use in this engine, unless there is a specific problem that you are trying to address.

High HT/HS oil will rob your engine of power and fuel economy, although nothing major. If you already have it, use it.

Thanks Quattro Pete I have a minor chain rattle at start up when it sits for a couple of
days. Just thought 10w40 might quiet them some. I have several quarts of Kendall synthetic blend
5w30 that is noisey. I was thinking of mixing them 50/50 but not sure that would be wise since
I have them why not use the for a couple of OCI's.

Thanks Quattro Pete I have a minor chain rattle at start up when it sits for a couple of
days. Just thought 10w40 might quiet them some.

Have you tried it yet? Has it made a difference?

ILAC does not deal in approvals. Rather it sets standards that an oil can either meet or not. ILSAC standards are mainly about fuel economy so of course 10W-40 grades need not apply.
Any current 40 grade has HTHS of at least 3.5, so fuel economy is not an attribute of the grade.
For your engine?
Try a 10W-40 and see what happens.
You may be headed for the inevitable timing chain replacement with the engine you have.
The OHC 4.0 was never known as a great engine and the oil used may not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back