Switching from Synthetic to Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you thoughts about switching from Synthetic Oil to Dino? Will leaks possibly occur? Vehicle has 76k and will be used mostly for short trips. I plan on changing the oil every 3-4k. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
You will be fine. Tenn doesn't get that cold in winter to really need full synthetic, and short OCI's are wasting synthetic oil.

Total dino or blend?
Either way it'll make little to no difference to the car but you might hear one oil as noisier than another and set yourself off down a road of testing various brands & viscosities.

MS5K is a good choice as member 2016_PSD ran lots of it in his F-150
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: beadvised
Thanks fellas Im going from PP to either MS5K or PYB.

If you've been doing fine with the PP additive package, why shift to MS5K which is quite different?

PYB, like PP, is still a high Ca oil with plenty of Boron and Moly. MS5K is a weaker Ca, high sodium oil with no moly, no boron. MS5K is more like the VWB and NAPA oils.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Thanks fellas Im going from PP to either MS5K or PYB.

If you've been doing fine with the PP additive package, why shift to MS5K which is quite different?

PYB, like PP, is still a high Ca oil with plenty of Boron and Moly. MS5K is a weaker Ca, high sodium oil with no moly, no boron. MS5K is more like the VWB and NAPA oils.

why would it have high sodium ? tks

3.6 Pentastar

I have two of those engines and frequently bounce between dino, Syn blend and full Syn. The pentastar isn't a picky engine and does well with most name brand oils.

I did a 6,000 mile run with VWB and had good numbers in my UOA.

Broken record here; the gap between synthetic and dino is slowly evaporating to basically nothing.
With manuf. OLMs going out to 10k and better, and their algorithm set up for dino, the party for high cost boutique oils is nearly over.
True, I run Edge 0w40 in my stuff now but if the price of it went up as high as the new year long Mobil 1 I saw recently at Walmart ($49!!!) you'll see me hitting the blends so fast,there'll be a sonic boom in the oil aisle....

^^^ agree with above---except---most new cars come FF with either syn,syn blend, or a grade like 0-20, which can only be had in syn/blend --> so most new car OLMs are set for syn or syn blend
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back