Burned 3 quarts at a 5104 OCI!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone every heard of burning through roughly 3 quarts of oil in 5.67 months/5104 miles?

I know she's usually down .5-1 quart about every 7,500 miles, but THREE QUARTS!?!?! I drove about an hour at 80pmh yesterday and just before I turned the engine off, I saw the oil light flicker. I immediately checked the oil and couldn't even get the stick wet. After adding 2 quarts, I just got the tip to register oil. In fear of over-filling I drove it home and changed it so I could measure. I was down 3 quarts in all. [censored]!?!?

- It's not smoking (at all)
- It's not dripping
- All engine seals appear to be dry
- Fuel economy is the same as the day I bought it

2005 Mazda Tribute i
147K Miles
Mobil 1 | 4.5 quarts

Last edited:
Certainly not unreasonable... not ideal but certainly workable. That's about a quart per 1700 miles, and in the owners manual for our Toyota it says that "More than 1 quart in 600 miles" is excess oil consumption. In other words, you're burning about 1/3 the oil it would take to get Toyota to fix your car under warranty. I'd just keep an eye on it, maybe try high-mileage oil.

Change the pcv valve with an oem version if it hasn't been done. Are you using 5w30?

Last edited:
Heck man, my 2008 Scion xB with the 2. 2AZ-FE which is famed for its too small and easily coked oil control drain back holes in the pistons.... burns a quart about every 1000-1200 and still doesnt qualify for Toyota's known issue service bulletin.

Run that motor till she pops, thats my plan. Mine is drinking some second hand TGMO 0W-20 right now. And she loves it at just over an ounce per hour runtime. I just cringe when I get some hot carbon induced clatter on hot day with engine hot. Perhaps I will just up it to premium gas for the 91 octane and then maybe 93 and then AvGas 100 or add octane boost.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Was Mobil 1 new to this vehicle???

Nope...started using Mobil around 95K (@ 150K now) and have been doing 7,500M OCI under blackstone guidance; however, didn't send off oil the last time or this time.

For the other gent's question, using 5W-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman
Junk it!!!

Um...nope. I'm the original owner and she's been in the shop 2x--once for an oil pump and once for brake lines. Most dependable car I've ever owned, BUT I do drive that 4-banger like it's a V-8. That's probably part of the issue. Ha!

As already mentioned I'd change the PCV valve and use an OE valve only. If that doesn't work I'd try a HM oil and/or bumping up a grade to 5W30 and see what happens.

My first 528e leaked a qt of oil every 1500 miles to the outside of the engine.There is an oil gallery too close to the edge It is a known issue in an otherwise rugged engine. A 528e owner who wanted a perfect example replaced the head gasket 3 times before he gave up. I switched to the cheapest 20w50 I could find. Even so, I observed a 3K mile OCI. Until I joined Bitog. Now the interval is 5K +

OP. I would try try good ol' 10w30 dino cheap as you can find it., I would buy oil by the case and keep it in the trunk. You have the perfect storm for oil consumption. Thin oil in Texas. Older DOHC I-4. Driving a slow car fast. Happy motoring
grin2.gif

If its not leaking or burning, either it was stolen or it was never there in the first place. Could the cat be hiding the smoke? Check all vac lines and pcv system. Try maxlife and report back.

When its using oil.. oil use will usually rapidly accelerate due to a low oil level.

so for example if it took 3000miles to use 1qt, then with only 3.5qts in the engine it will start using oil fast.

When you saw an oil light that is low oil pressure(page 17 in manual) aka "your engine is toast if I'm on light."

On page 221 in your owners manual it says to check oil level When refueling.

I probably wouldnt worry too much the light wasnt on solid and its amazing how engines survive terrible abuse like running a 4.5qt sump engine with 2qt in it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
As already mentioned I'd change the PCV valve and use an OE valve only. If that doesn't work I'd try a HM oil and/or bumping up a grade to 5W30 and see what happens.

I can run 30 weight? Interesting. I knew I could run 0W-20, just didn't know I could run 30W.

If you like Mobil 1, then switch to their full synthetic high mileage 5w20. Open the hood and check the oil level once per month. Top up as needed and "problem solved."

Originally Posted By: andyd
My first 528e leaked a qt of oil every 1500 miles to the outside of the engine.There is an oil gallery too close to the edge It is a known issue in an otherwise rugged engine. A 528e owner who wanted a perfect example replaced the head gasket 3 times before he gave up. I switched to the cheapest 20w50 I could find. Even so, I observed a 3K mile OCI. Until I joined Bitog. Now the interval is 5K +
OP. I would try try good ol' 10w30 dino cheap as you can find it.,

Interesting ... 5K+ OCI on a 20W50.
Yep, give dino a go.

I'd run some crankcase cleaner- kreen, seafoam, MMO - if you continue
to see oil consumption. to get the rings, valves, cams, cranks, all a
little cleaner (not to mention all those little holes where the oil
leads back downstairs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back