DIY pickup bed liner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this the right forum, or should be the detailing forum, but here goes. I bought a ford Ranchero, and the paint in the bed is darn nice, but since it will be used for both show&shines, and cruising, AND light hauling, I want to put some protection on the bed. I am considering either Herculiner in the standard black, or the Duplicolor in the clear. Since the paint is good, I am thinking the clear would be nice, and also save some work, as the directions for the clear state to NOT scuff the paint, just clean it. Also, being clear, it shouldn't need as much masking. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?? It will not be used to rough, so doesn't need to be the toughest stuff on the market, just to add some protection.

If its a really nice, classic vehicle that you want to show, Id invest a little money to have it professionally done with a high quality job. Mess it up a little bit and youll regret it every time.

First, it is not that nice, it is driver quality, possibly a number 3 at best, and a mat would be good, but I am more concerned about the sides and fender wells. I am for sure going with a brush/roll on coating, just wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge of the quality of them. Different brands etc.
I am not planning to take it to any JUDGED shows, as I know it is not really trophy worthy,(unless nobody else in class) but just don't want it to get looking to ratty. I know show quality, as I have entered vehicles in literally hundreds of shows, with various vehicles, and gotten dozens of first place trophies. Our mustang club puts on a big show each year, and I have judged many shows in other towns also. Any more I prefer the free show and shines, to the ones with trophies that charge 10 to 20 dollars to enter.

Last edited:
I have done both Herculiner and Line-X. With Herculiner, or any brand, prep of the surface is critical to doing a good job. Herculiner does pretty good overall for bed protection. I did two applications on my last pickup. I would shove in pallets of stuff, oil drums, etc and not have any problem with Herculiner holding up. I got the Line-X this go around as it was a freebie from the dealer to spice up the deal to get me to buy their 2500 pickup. The Line-X does look better than a Herculiner job, but not sold yet that it is significantly better product. A little, yeah, I would go with that, but not night and day difference in protection.

Not sure how collectible a Ranchero is, but does that factor into this?

Collectable value is about the same as the mustangs, of the same years, and value is about the same all depending on condition of course. My mustang in my signature is local/regional show quality. It is all stock. The Ranchero is not as good, and has custom interior, non original paint color, and a different engine, so is modified for show purposes.

I am trying to find out if the duplicolor clear bedliner is oil and gas resistant. I called them (duplicolor) and the guy I spoke to said " I think it would be " I said you think? I would like to know for sure, and he couldn't or wouldn't state for positive that it is oil resistant. I have now sent them an email with the same question, and in 24 to 48 hrs. I will see what they have to say. My guess is the same non answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back