Oversizing oil filter.. Acura MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone is currently using an oversized oil filter on their Honda/Acura.

I was surprised to see how small the oil filter is on the J37, especially if I compare it to the filter used on my 02 TL-P.

Upon close observations, i can determine it is the same thread size and the gasket is "pretty d$mn close"....

I am considering using the same filter for both my TL and MDX...

Thoughts.?

Just because it will screw-on and the gasket fits doesn't mean it is a good to go to filter. Try cross referencing the OEM to other acceptable substitutes. Why do you think the manufacture of your engine has made a mistake in choosing an oil filter? Is there some data suggesting that the OEM is not a good filter choice? Ed

You don't really have much, if anything, to gain from going to a larger filter considering the filter you used in your TL isn't much larger in diameter than the one your MDX uses.

If you are concerned with filtration, focus on the media type instead. That is what's more important.

Probably the same oil filter thread size as my Odyssey, M20x1.5

Not many filter choices for oversizing since the width is restricted to the size of the mounting plate. Fram, for example, has three that will fit. From smallest to largest: 6607, 7317 and 3593A. Each are <3" or less in diameter.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
... Fram, for example, has three that will fit. From smallest to largest: 6607, 7317 and 3593A. ...
I used a few 3593s (and equivalent Purolators) on my Mazda, after they discontinued the longer equivalent filters they used to offer and recommend.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
You don't really have much, if anything, to gain from going to a larger filter considering the filter you used in your TL isn't much larger in diameter than the one your MDX uses.

If you are concerned with filtration, focus on the media type instead. That is what's more important.

Not really, some cars will have the drain bolt near the filer and if the filter is too big; it will prevent the drain bolt from being removed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back