2008 Maxima with 96k (oil recommendation please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any oil that's on sale.

Of course with the correct weight and change it according to oil life monitor

Depends on your driving style, service history, etc.

VQ35 engines tear up oil. In mine, I use syn 5W30 and do 6500 mile OCIs with mixed driving.

I don't know which VQ35 motor is in your Maxima. Mine is the VQ35DE in my 2007 Infiniti with 97K miles. I've had the car nine years since new. I have had the most satisfaction using a synthetic blend 5w-30 at 4,500 to 5,000 mile intervals. Mostly I've used Kendall GT-1 and Quaker State. Last 5 oil changes I've used two quarts QS synthetic and 3 quarts QS conventional. The motor seems to like that recipe.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Castrol Magnatec 5w30 at Walmart for $19.87 per 5 quart jug. Have a great day Ashley.

Great oil. I prefer full synthetics in everything, but syn blend is better than dino at least.

Castrol Edge 0w30 is very popular among the Nissan/VQ crowd. Supposedly, they are discontinuing it, though.

AAP/CQ has Castrol Edge 5w30 A3/B4 (gold bottle) and it is on sale for $32.99 5qt and a P1 filter (but you can upgrade to M1 for $4 more). It is also available on Amazon.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Castrol Magnatec 5w30 at Walmart for $19.87 per 5 quart jug. Have a great day Ashley.

Great oil. I prefer full synthetics in everything, but syn blend is better than dino at least.

The 0w20 and 5w20 versions of it are a full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Castrol Edge 0w30 is very popular among the Nissan/VQ crowd. Supposedly, they are discontinuing it, though.

AAP/CQ has Castrol Edge 5w30 A3/B4 (gold bottle) and it is on sale for $32.99 5qt and a P1 filter (but you can upgrade to M1 for $4 more). It is also available on Amazon.

Gold Edge 5w30 at Walmart is $28 and right now the 10w30 version is marked down to $21.

Gold Edge 5w30 at Walmart is $28 and right now the 10w30 version is marked down to $21.

Not the same thing.

The one I mentioned is a Euro 5w30, A3/B4, a little thicker, like their 0w30.

But at Walmart, my choice would be the black 0w40 jug

The 0w20 and 5w20 versions of it are a full synthetic.

I'm well aware. I have the 0w-20 in my car currently.

I'm well aware. I have the 0w-20 in my car currently.

That's good. Is that the Impreza?

I believe I'll go with the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 at Walmart.

Recommendations on a filter (since this is a synthetic blend)??

Fram Tough Guard for $6 which has a 99% efficiency rating. The Fram Ultra for $9 if you leave it in for two intervals.

Fram Tough Guard for $6 which has a 99% efficiency rating. The Fram Ultra for $9 if you leave it in for two intervals.

Walmart doesn't seem to have a way to match the filter to the car. Ugh. How do I find which Fram Tough Guard I need for this 2008 Maxima?

Hi Ashley. This is what we use at my work, hope it helps. Also, you can do a cross reference for the CHAMP LABS filter and it will show you other brands filters for your Maxima.

Hope this helps ashley
wink.gif

http://showmetheparts.com/champlabs/

The best filter at Walmart would be the Fram Ultra (part number XG7317), or the new M1 filter, M1-110A (only some Walmarts have them out now, not all of them)

For something less expensive, there's the Super Tech filter (part number ST9688)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back