Which struts will take a better beating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If the potholes are really that bad, get the Monroe's that have the lifetime warranty.

That is what I would do; the Monroe OE Spectrum has lifetime warranty for wear as well as worksmanship. If you don't do them yourself, find a decent shop that sells Monroe and just get new ones every 40/50K and pay labor. Any strut/shock absorber is gonna get pounded and wear out on bad roads over time. Plus, KYBs generally are 10% stiffer than stock; do you want a stiffer ride on rough roads???

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Of course DIY should not be attempting to compress springs.

Nonsense!

+1. I've owned and used a pair of these for years.

web_ka-4002__1.jpg

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I've used kyb on saturns. They ride a bit stiff, but saturn s cars have a short suspension travel. They hold up. Bilsteins are probably best, but they are not available for all makes.

All this. Plus, of note, KYBs might have slotted lower holes meaning you'll get an involuntary camber adjustment which could add an alignment to your expense.

Monroes might, too. Look into *YOUR* app.

PS I got super cheap Monroe springs for my HHR on amazon.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I replaced struts on 99 Saturn SL2 with KYB 50,000 miles ago. Still working well. I did all the work myself. AutoZone will rent a spring compressor. It is not rocket science if you do some research.

The problem with Quick Struts is workmanship or noise. I re-used all my springs and mounts. Just lubed the front strut mount bearings which was tedious. I had no noise and a great ride when done.

I thought about doing just the struts themselves, but after looking at all the parts (mount, spring, strut) my thinking is that I am going to have to replace all of it due to rust and age.....

Seems like KYB is winning the popular vote. And looking at rockauto/amazon, they both price about the same as well.

Funny I bring this up as my neighbor was helping his buddy reaplce shocks/struts in his HHR. He used Moog quick struts up front, and Monroe OE shocks on the back.

Not sure I would want to mix brands like that....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Seems like KYB is winning the popular vote. And looking at rockauto/amazon, they both price about the same as well.

They're the same price, but Monroe has a $75 rebate, making it much cheaper.

KYB is better, but are they $75 better? That's for you to decide
smile.gif

I was going to mix brands. KYB on front of Saturn were from Japan. Well packed.

I bought Gabriel struts from AutoZone for rear. Shipped to my local store. Both boxes collapsed. Struts were flopping around in box. Made in Mexico. Returned promptly and ordered KYB for rear. Made in USA. Well packed.

Also, don't forget money for the alignment. I did Firestone $175 Lifetime alignment. I used it 5 times before selling the car and it allowed one repair at a time.

Yeah, not much rust in St Louis. It worked for me and was recommended by someone who lived in California. You may have a lot of fun removing those rusty bolts.
smile.gif
I could use hand tools and things came apart without a problem and I had good instructions.

Originally Posted By: Trav
At this price point your dealing with twin tube shocks/struts and there isn't much difference in these two brands. Entry level Bilsteins are higher quality twin tubes but none compare to a good monotube but they cost real money.
For a light car like this in this price range as others have said go for the warranty.

Just an example and an explanation.
http://www.truckspring.com/products/Bils..._35-114635.aspx

http://www.kyb.com/knowledge-center/shock-tech-for-pros/monotube-vs-twintube/

They don't make too much of the good stuff for a plain ol' Chevy Cobalt...mostly Monroe and KYB, followed by all the china cheap junk they sell on rock auto, amazon and prime choice parts.

Would love to keep my springs and do sachs struts/shocks, as I think they would be the best quality for my Balt. But harder to find, priced up in what I could find, and no quick strut if I can't reuse the spring...

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Makes me wonder is the factory spring 'broken in' and should be reused.....

Of course DIY should not be attempting to compress springs.

That's correct in part, some cars have very high spring rates that can be extremely dangerous with common low end spring compressors. Most street cars don't have high rate springs on struts, a few sports car types and vans may be an exception, they also don't require a lot of compression to lift off the top mount.
On something like a old MB W123 front springs you really have a PO'd tiger by the tail and shouldn't even attempt them at home unless you have high grade compressors like those from Klann especially made for them and experience but its not a strut.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Sachs/Boge are very good, both are ZF high quality brands.

True...catch is if I can find some I'd have to get someone to do the springs....don't trust myself to that part of the job....

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
KYB FINALLY has a decent rebate promo! Your rebate would be $60 for two shocks and two quick struts. rebate form

With this in mind, KYB is the way to go
smile.gif

Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back