93 GMC 454 TBI w/Castrol Edge Extended Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck takes a quart (leaks mostly) every 500 miles or so. I should be able to change the filter every 5,000 miles or so and never have to change the oil. Correct, or am I missing something? What's a good filter to use? Is this good oil?

That's an excellent oil, but a poor choice for your situation. Pick a high-mileage product of the appropriate viscosity to mitigate leakage.

How do you use it (winter operation, etc.)?

Fram XG5 - $8 @ Walmart

Do you know where it's leaking?

A few weeks ago, the caliber developed a noticeable oil leak from the oil pan. When I slid unde and checked the bolts, 5 of them near the rear were loose enough to allow oil to seep out. Not a drop since. Could be a simple fix.

I am thankful for the leak if it means I don't have to change the oil which was my original question.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: crookedaxle
I am thankful for the leak if it means I don't have to change the oil which was my original question.
grin.gif

You could have a pan full of sludge without actually draining it once every couple years or so. Solids that don't get leaked out or run through the oil pickup screen can settle and solidify.

Fix the leak and run a 10w40 HM. The cheapest one you can find such as Super Tech at WM. BB Chev's tend to consume a little oil even when in good shape and not leaking.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Nice username crookedaxle. I like that one.
smile.gif

He comes up with some unique ones that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back