Viscosity Measurement and Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
1. Dynamic or Absolute Viscosity is expressed in ----- .

2. Kinematic Viscosity is expressed in ------- .

3. What is the relationship between Kinematic and Dynamic viscosity?

Let's allow newcomers, non-engineers, and non-chemists to answer this question.

I am looking forward to the answer of question number 3. The reason being is that it is the deeper level question. I enjoy this part of being here Molacule, meaning the learning part. And I appreciate your teaching on here a lot. Ohh and I'm sorry about the incomplete answer on the other question. I was just thinking about the one part of it a lot.

Last edited:
What are the basic units?

Each dash represents a letter. In practice, we know that both Dynamic and Kinematic Viscosity is expressed in fractions of these units.

1. Dynamic or Absolute Viscosity is expressed in - - - - - .

2. Kinematic Viscosity is expressed in - - - - - - .

3. What is the relationship between Kinematic and Dynamic viscosity?

I abstain!
grin.gif

1. Dynamic or Absolute Viscosity is expressed in Poise .

2. Kinematic Viscosity is expressed in Stokes .

3. I'm drawing a blank
grin.gif

I under stand what they are (external force resistance Dynamic vs no external force resistance Kinematic), but don't have an answer for their relationship.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One

3. I'm drawing a blank
grin.gif

I under stand what they are (external force resistance Dynamic vs no external force resistance Kinematic), but don't have an answer for their relationship.

Very good, for 3. consider Density, or rho.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

3. I'm drawing a blank
grin.gif

Very good, for 3. consider Density, or rho.

I was wayyy over thinking it... thank you for the lesson Molakule
thumbsup2.gif

1. ... I under stand what they are (external force resistance Dynamic vs no external force resistance Kinematic), but don't have an answer for their relationship.
In other words, kinematic viscosity is absolute viscosity divided by density of the fluid, therefore is more relevant when the shearing forces are associated with mass (whether through inertia or gravity).

We should remember all that from basic physics or fluid mechanics.

Originally Posted By: CR94
1. ... I under stand what they are (external force resistance Dynamic vs no external force resistance Kinematic), but don't have an answer for their relationship.
In other words, kinematic viscosity is absolute viscosity divided by density of the fluid, therefore is more relevant when the shearing forces are associated with mass (whether through inertia or gravity).

We should remember all that from basic physics or fluid mechanics.

Very good all, and thanks for responding.

Continuing with our series on viscosity, we know the opposition of a fluid to flow is primarily defined by the fluids viscosity.

Absolute or Dynamic viscosity is defined as, The Tangential Force Per Unit Area required to Move one Horizontal Plane with respect to Another Horizontal Plane a Distance Unit Apart. Dynamic or Absolute viscosity is measured in "poise" or centi-poise, or Pascal*seconds (Pa*s).

Kinematic viscosity is defined as, The Ratio of Dynamic Viscosity Divided by the Fluid's Density, or rho, and is measured in stokes or centi-Stokes, or mm^2/s.

Kinematic Viscosity is tested and reported at 40C and 100C in order derive the Viscosity Index of a fluid.

Last edited:
Is the change in density between 40C and 100C measured for the Kinematic viscosity calculation? Or do they just use the density at STP? Is the difference in density between 40C and 100C enough to have a significant influence on the kinematic viscosity calcs? I'm guessing that the density change between the two temperatures is about the same for all base oils and all common oil viscosities? I know these questions probably have no practical use, just curious and haven't had enough coffee yet this morning.

Thanks,

Bob

Quote:
viscosity index, n—an arbitrary number used to characterize the variation of the kinematic viscosity of a petroleum product with temperature.

I have never seen any evidence of density corrections in ASTM-2770.

Mathematically, VI is a result of log-antilog equations with lots of interpolations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back