Brand New 2016 F350 6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
New guy here!! I was wondering what oil came in these from the factory? Dino? Syn.? and what I should be using from here on out, this is not my daily driver, I use it for hauling our travel trailer which weighs about 8K loaded a couple of times a month in the summer and the truck will be setting in the barn during the winter with some occasional use so it does not gather dust. I am looking for a good value oil at a fair price, I am not worried about cost but more about protection, I am also not looking at extended change intervals, I have never had an oil analysis done but if it is recommended, would be more than willing to do that if someone could steer me in the right direction..

Thanks,Rick

owners manual will inform you.
any oil the the manual says is ok will be good. travellers, valvoline, rosmella, just make sure it's a cj-4 or ck spec oil. and change it when it should be.
don't read to deep into amsoil, and what not. your engine will not know the difference. get the correct grade for the temps you live in.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Did the truck come with an owners manual? Mine did.

LOL! Great point
wink.gif

As a matter of fact it didnt come with the manual, I am still waiting on it from the dealer, apparently another salesman took it out for a previous sale and never replaced it...lol.

Originally Posted By: RickV
As a matter of fact it didnt come with the manual, I am still waiting on it from the dealer, apparently another salesman took it out for a previous sale and never replaced it...lol.

Just do a search and you can see the whole manual online...

For warranty purposes use oil with the proper Ford oil specification for your vehicle. It's in the owners manual, and at least follow the Ford OCI requirements. My wife recently purchased a new 2017 Ford Explorer and got tired of me asking to see her owners manual so she downloaded one off the internet from Ford to my computer
lol.gif

Whimsey

Does anyone have any experience with Lube King 10W30, looks like a food price and on Fords approved list?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: CT8
Did the truck come with an owners manual? Mine did.

Be nice, please!
Reading the owners manual is sooooo important

Originally Posted By: RickV
Well the we are here to help and there are some owners on board with late model Ford 6.7s

I'm pretty sure when you get your manual, it will recommend 5w40 for towing. There is a discussion going on in this forum about it right now.
For now, do what the manual says and keep any receipts until your warranty is up. Then (if you are like most PS owners here), you'll find that a 10w30 holds up just fine, and that as long as you use any oil that meets certifications, the motor will outlast the rest of the truck.

Just found this:

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/th...ngines.1128631/

I'm really curious what oils were tested. I believe Shell has kept the levels of zinc almost the same on the CK-4 Rotella oils, expect for the new T6 multi-vehicle 5W-30 oil? The same thing goes for Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40, it still has 1250 pm of zinc.

Makes me wonder what oils Ford tested that they are concerned with the lowered zinc levels.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
Just found this:

I'm really curious what oils were tested. I believe Shell has kept the levels of zinc almost the same on the CK-4 Rotella oils, expect for the new T6 multi-vehicle 5W-30 oil? The same thing goes for Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40, it still has 1250 pm of zinc.

Makes me wonder what oils Ford tested that they are concerned with the lowered zinc levels.

Shell in its Rotella T6 5w40 lowered phosphorous about 200 ppm to below 1000 ppm, and lowered zinc about 100 ppm, when it went from CJ4 to the new CK4 according to VOAs on here.

I sure hope Ford updates it's approved list soon, because it's looking outdated now. For example, some of the 5w40 oils that were "approved" by Ford in early January were CJ4 at that time, but have now switched to CK4 according to the API webaite. What a fiasco.

Last edited:
Yeah, not so sure what make the Pstroke something special. Tens of thousands of diesels from that displacement on up thru 15L are factory filled with 10w30 conventional or blend and they are using it year round, every day, from the Rio Grande on up thru Canada, doing more than most folks would ever do with a Pstroke pickup. I actually have found via oil samples that 10w30 tends to stay closer to original out of the jug grade than a 5w40 does. Any change in viscosity at 100c is lower with a 10w30 than a 5w40. Doesn't mean the 5w40 is a slouch, just that it would seem the lower amount of viscosity modifiers in the 10w30 makes some difference.

There will be CJ-4 oils around for some time, even though the CK stuff is out. But it might require a little more searching to get it. Schaeffer is offering both CK and CJ versions. No real plans to ditch CJ yet.

Originally Posted By: claluja
Originally Posted By: njohnson
Just found this:

Shell in its Rotella T6 5w40 lowered phosphorous about 200 ppm to below 1000 ppm, and lowered zinc about 100 ppm, when it went from CJ4 to the new CK4 according to VOAs on here.

I sure hope Ford updates it's approved list soon, because it's looking outdated now. For example, some of the 5w40 oils that were "approved" by Ford in early January were CJ4 at that time, but have now switched to CK4 according to the API webaite. What a fiasco.

Thanks, I didn't realize Shell had lowered the levels, I thought they had kept them almost the same.

RickV

First
welcome2.gif
to the site!

Second, congratulations on your new rig.

Third, be prepared for a barrage of silliness, because you have entered the danger zone.
a) BITOGers are FULL of opinions, and often like to bench-race their lubes
b) Ford is practically schizophrenic in their lube recommendations; there are some recent threads here to prove that point.

I, too, live in IN. You're going to see a fairly wide swing of temps, regardless of time of year. I would recommend you just run 10w-30 HDEO year round. I have used it myself in every conceivable application (winter cold starts, summer RV pulls into the Rockies and desert SW) and yet every UOA always comes back fine. Especially because your rig will sit for some portions of time, and you're under warranty, then I'd say to just OCI once a year with a decent 10w-30 HDEO. You can use 5w-40 syn if you want, but there's no proof that it does anything more than cost money; it certainly won't lower wear rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back