Valvetrain pics - Pontiac Vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to share valvetrain pics while changing the valve cover gasket. It's a Toyota 1ZZ-FE engine, 296300 km (184000 miles). This is the first time that I am working on a Toyota engine, and I have to admit it is pretty easy compared to a Honda or Mazda. There is no service history, but I am glad to see that there is no sludge.

Sorry for [censored] pics, I live in an apartment and I have to do all maintenance in underground garage (sucks!), or Walmart parking lot in summer.

I will keep 3-4k miles OCI with Valvoline Conventional 5w30.

fmq6if.jpg

wilo90.jpg

Thanks for your time!

Dan

This does look rather good indeed. Those motors are really very strong and do well. I like the idea of Valvoline plan you have.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Have you done anything with the PCV yet?

Changed the PCV two weeks ago.

While you are in there, you might as well change out the intake manifold gaskets. The OEM ones eventually leak and there is a revised version. Pretty inexpensive as well. I did my daughter's 2005 Toyota Matrix XR which is basically the same as the Vibe.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
While you are in there, you might as well change out the intake manifold gaskets. The OEM ones eventually leak and there is a revised version. Pretty inexpensive as well. I did my daughter's 2005 Toyota Matrix XR which is basically the same as the Vibe.

I've got the revised (orange) intake manifold gasket but will install it later. As far as I remember, I don't need to take the valve cover off to remove the intake manifold. I haven't got any CEL's and no idle issues yet, so it's not really urgent, but will replace it in the near future.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You'll need a new odometer soon
smile.gif

I am getting ready to use Trip A as an oil change interval gauge
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dgunay
smile.gif

smile.gif

I tried to do that on my sable, found out the trip odometers only go to 1000....

Originally Posted By: earlyre
smile.gif

smile.gif

I tried to do that on my sable, found out the trip odometers only go to 1000....

As far as I know, the trip odometer will count up to 9.999 km (or miles for US cluster) and it will roll over.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
smile.gif

smile.gif

As far as I know, the trip odometer will count up to 9.999 km (or miles for US cluster) and it will roll over.

mine will go up to 999.9, then reset to zero.(and yes it is a digital odo)

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

I've got the revised (orange) intake manifold gasket but will install it later. As far as I remember, I don't need to take the valve cover off to remove the intake manifold. I haven't got any CEL's and no idle issues yet, so it's not really urgent, but will replace it in the near future.

You are correct, you don't have to remove the valve cover to remove the intake manifold. I was just thinking about being proactive since you will have some of the top of the engine apart. No worries!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back