Cashiers asking you to donate for ___ charity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you BITOG members get annoyed at cashiers at the supermarket constantly asking if you want to donate $1 for ___ charity or cause / fundraiser ?

Seems like every month the supermarkets are asking you for money. I politely say no thanks.... cause I know my money will be wasted on highly paid executives of that organization.

I have a cashier friend and she said that checkers are required to ask and if they don't, then can get a written up. I just say no thank you. Ed

We flip-flop between 2 Kroger stores. Sometimes we get asked to round-up, sometimes we don't. We usually say yes. In addition, we get to designate our church/school as the beneficiary of a donation based on how much we spend there. It usually works out to be approx $60 a year-sometimes more. Doesn't sound like much but with a few hundred folks doing it, it works out to about $12,000 per year. What bothers me more are the convenience stores pushing 2-for-1 large candy bars with the claim that someone gets a piece of the coin. That we always turn down.

Last edited:
I get hit by bums at the gas pump. Then at the door,then at the cashier for the mentioned post. Then at the door again and the gas pump again. Finally get hit up by the bum holding a sign leaving the lot.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Worse is walking out of a store and being surrounded by girl scout cookie sellers.

That always reminds me of this haha

Everybody wants your money. At some point you just say no. I don't let it bother me.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I have a cashier friend and she said that checkers are required to ask and if they don't, then can get a written up. I just say no thank you. Ed

Same goes with store credit cards. No sense in getting angry at the poor cashier over annoying policies pushed by his/her superiors. I just politely decline each time.

I got it yesterday and figured giving $1. was easier..
I overheard the guy behind me as I was leaving give $20....... Nice score!

It seems that every time I go to the grocery store, I get strong armed to donate to some charity. I stopped by the local Petco the other day and the cashier tried strong arm me into donating to a charity that I never heard of. I give to the charities that I want as I know the money goes to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back