S10 Lean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Sunday BITOG. I am officially stumped.

About a year ago, I replaced the passenger side A arms on my brothers 4x4 non ZR2 1998 Blazer since it sounded like stuff was getting a little loose. I went by the book by replacing the cams, torsion bar and torsion keys to their original state and used AC Delco A arms that came with new ball joints and bushings. Also while I was in there, I replaced the axle shaft and hub bearing.

For whatever reason, this side sits substantially lower (~1.5") than the driver side now. Googling reveals that the "S10 lean" exists and it's something I should just deal with... The truck literally sits on the passenger side bump stop now and harshly bounces over bumps at both low and high speed. It feels like the shocks need replaced, but they are Monroe Reflex's with less than 10k on them.

It is time to do the driver side now and I also plan on replacing the sway bar end links. I can see this somewhat helping the bouncing at higher speeds, but that is about it. Should the torsion bars need replaced too? What else am I missing? The truck has 90k on it right now. Alignment seems fine with no uneven tire wear.

Any input and criticism is appreciated.
Thanks for the input folks.

Torsion bar suspensions should be adjustable for ride height, by "winding up" the bar. I don't know specifically how GM does it though. Toyota trucks have an adjuster where the fixed end of the bar attaches to the frame.

those adjustment bolts can put allot of lift in the front -
are they showing about the same threads now ?

I have offset keys to provide lift for 285's and still minimize the preload in the bar ...

Torsion/torque provides the "spring", if you will and every vehicle I owned with torsion bars required adjustment after performing suspension work. We usually did it by measuring from top edge of the rim to the bottom edge of the wheel well on the fender.

The passenger side is cranked up all the way.

There's about an inch difference now.

Ride is the same.

The first of this type for me was a new 1995 GMC 4WD ... during the first alignment job - guy asked me if I want to go up or down an inch to get it even ...

Originally Posted By: Ojustracing
was the key indexed properly after the repair? Sounds like it wasn't. Like its off one notch.

Off a notch. Not sure what you mean by this.

You may be onto something though.

Do you mean rotate it about the hex?

Last edited:
Hex key - that would be 60 degrees ... the aftermarket keys are just built with with a low degree of index for lift ...

One inch should be easy with the adjustment bolts ...

It's all the way in and still too low. There's no more bolt left to turn.

I'll pay attention to how its orientated on the driver side when I remove it. Not sure if I'd be able to tell with everything installed and twisted or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back