OAT anti-freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan. Checking the manual it says to use an OAT anti-freeze. It also specifically says not to use a "globally universal" anti-freeze. Checking the anti-freeze bottles at work, none say that they are OAT. Are there any "over the counter" OAT anti-freezes out there or do I have to purchase from a dealer to be safe? Or am I safe looking for something that meets the Chrysler MS specification?

FCA now uses a proprietary OAT AF, you can read about in the link. http://articles.sae.org/11284/

So I'd only use FCA OAT under warranty. And after that only outside of FCA OAT I'd consider is Peak Global Lifetime OAT, no 2eha.

Being a new vehicle, wouldn't think you would need to be concerned about it for awhile.

By the time you need to deal with coolant, Zerex will have some that meets the FCA specifications.

Any coolant that meets the FCA spec will be fine. I agree to avoid universal coolant unless despirate.

With all the problems people had with mixing OAT and HOAT coolant I would stick with buying it from the dealer until it becomes a mainstream product, and I'm certain it meets the FCA spec for my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
With all the problems people had with mixing OAT and HOAT coolant I would stick with buying it from the dealer until it becomes a mainstream product, and I'm certain it meets the FCA spec for my vehicle.

+1 - you could probably use DexCool in an emergency (also an OAT AF) or just plain water. The Chrysler stuff is available on Amazon if no dealer is close.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I wouldn't worry about until it comes time to actually replace the coolant (5 years / 100K miles?)

Exactly. In a healthy cooling system if you need a top up during that 5 year time just use a bit of distilled water. My Rubicon was a year old this past October, the coolant level hasn't moved, if it does need a top up it will be getting distilled water.

Do play around with the FCA OAT stuff and adding or using anything else unless it is a complete flush and refill. Mixing any of the other non FCA OAT fluids will result in a sludge.

Just suck up the cost and get it from the dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back