20W-50 in 18HP Briggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a quart of high quality Motol synthetic motorcycle oil I would like to use up. Any reason not to use it in
a 13 YO 18HP Briggs riding mower? I'm not sure what the manual calls for, I think it may be 10-40.

It'll work fine. But it's a little cool to be using it now. The proper oil was/is 10W30 almost guaranteed. I'm thinking that is a bigger sump than 1 qt ... What else do you have laying around?

If bigger than 1 qt sump, blend with some 5W-30 SuperTech synthetic and good to go
laugh.gif

Latest briggs specs are straight 30 conv, 10w30 conv/syn, 5w30 syn depending on conditions. I'm using 5w30 syn on all my briggs and I'm glad I did. They start easier, have more power. A bigger displacing engine you wouldn't notice the thickness. But little engine you can really tell the difference.

It will hold more than one quart. there are many 18 HP briggs, some with splash lube. 20W50 is not going to splash very well when cold. Summer only.

Rod

It looks like no one here saw the newest B&S recommendation. Vanguard 15w50 full synthetic is recommended from 20 degrees above 100 degrees, while they stop all the 30 weights at 100 degrees. Considering that, you shouldn't have no problem using that oil. It still has a better winter rating than straight 30.

Thanks all for the feedback. It will only be run when temps get hot enough to make grass start growing, prob well above 60F. I'll dig out the manual and if it takes more than a quart I have plenty of 5-30 I use in my Ranger and Slingshot. IF its only a quart, I may mix it half and half with M1 5-30 and use the other half in the Ranger.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would use the proper oil. It's only a QT. Use as makeup oil in your car.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
B&S says 5w30 synthetic or 10w30. 20w50 is a poor choice but, will work. Ed

Briggs and Stratton now recommends the use of synthetic 20W50 for hotter, commercial type use, so yes, 20W50 is a proper choice as long as you dont use it in the winter. It was 89 degrees here yesterday, so spring/summer is fast approaching. It will be fine and I would definitely use it in that application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back