centrifuge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 55gph centrifuge on my 2005 dmax diesel for just over 5 years and 100,000+ miles. I liked the PPE kit but not the price, so after some research I found the centrifuge at PABiodiesel for $155, then welded mounts to the oil fill neck. I also added a shutoff valve to the supply side in case any leaks or anything happened. It has 2 .050" oil jets and a regulator spring so it must have 25psi minimum to flow through the centrifuge. Overall it was a very nice kit.

Now for the cons, I'm not sure it ever made a difference. After 10k I pulled it apart and it was spotless inside. Looking at PPEs kit, they had a paper media inside to give particles something to stick to, so I ordered the papers from them and tried that. 10k later, still clean. I removed the regulator to try more flow, nothing seemed to work. My oil pressure had no visible drop so I left the regulator out and ran it straight. My OCI were always 12k and I left it untouched from then on. Over the next few years I opened it up but it was always clean. Never has a cake inside. I pulled it off two years ago and it's sitting on my shelf. I may try running an electric pump to feed it at least 70psi and see if that makes particles cake. I suppose my dmax always ran clean though so maybe that was it. I can try it on a Cummins and see if the results are different.

Originally Posted By: NVRENUFF
I had a 55gph centrifuge on my 2005 dmax diesel for just over 5 years and 100,000+ miles. I liked the PPE kit but not the price, so after some research I found the centrifuge at PABiodiesel for $155, then welded mounts to the oil fill neck. I also added a shutoff valve to the supply side in case any leaks or anything happened. It has 2 .050" oil jets and a regulator spring so it must have 25psi minimum to flow through the centrifuge. Overall it was a very nice kit.

Now for the cons, I'm not sure it ever made a difference. After 10k I pulled it apart and it was spotless inside. Looking at PPEs kit, they had a paper media inside to give particles something to stick to, so I ordered the papers from them and tried that. 10k later, still clean. I removed the regulator to try more flow, nothing seemed to work. My oil pressure had no visible drop so I left the regulator out and ran it straight. My OCI were always 12k and I left it untouched from then on. Over the next few years I opened it up but it was always clean. Never has a cake inside. I pulled it off two years ago and it's sitting on my shelf. I may try running an electric pump to feed it at least 70psi and see if that makes particles cake. I suppose my dmax always ran clean though so maybe that was it. I can try it on a Cummins and see if the results are different.

Do you know or remember what kind of oil pressure you had when the centrifuge was in operation on the vehicle? Did the manufacturer have any recommendations for oil pressure? Isn't the PABiodiesel centrifuge marketed on eBay as a way to reclaim used cooking grease into diesel fuel? Is this centrifuge designed to clean motor oil?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-GPH-CENTRIFUGE-w-BRASS-and-GAUGE-for-WVO-OIL-and-BIODIESEL-/191832391835?hash=item2caa1a009b:g:sm4AAOxyrxZRzIOU

Description at the bottom of the page says 85 psi operation. Most engines don't operate anywhere near this range.

Oil centrifuges are generic, only a couple people make them and everyone relabeles them. The ONLY difference in ones they claim are made for wvo vs motor oil is the spring and little piston in them. It's to help save your engine if oil psi gets low, it needs at least 20psi to start flowing oil. I believe pabiodiesel says 85psi as the max working pressure. At that pressure it's spinning over 8,000rpm. My idea pressure was 40psi and driving psi was 60. That should spin it roughly 5,500-6,000rpm and @2,000Gs.

ihatetochangeoil,

You were originally running only the NTZ Bypass and the Centrifuge. Is the Puradyn filter a new addition to your oil filtration set up(in the "products for sale section" you posted a recent picture of your engine bay with the Puradyn)? As always, your filtration setup and line routing is impeccable. In addition, have you been able to find a source to do an analysis on the particle cake from your Centrifuge?

xtell

Latest UOA; 16,234 on oil, NOT changed...Lab says "suitable for continued use."
12.gif

ihatetochangeoil

The drop in your particle counts, especially in the 4um and 6um range is a real eye opener. The addition of the centrifuge has obviously made a major improvement in the cleanliness of your oil. An interesting trend I noted was as the particles get smaller in size the percentage of them being "spun" out of the oil increases. It will be interesting to see how low the particle count progresses with the next used oil analysis. What do you think is the cause of the slight increase in the Silicon level?

Dunno; I'll check around the intake for loose clamps (obviously). I'm liking the Iron ppm and since my particle counts are on the way DOWN, I'm REALLY curious as to what comes next. I'm also likin' the relatively stable TBN (drop of .81), which will rise come top up time. 20K UOA next unless the car is T-boned by a texter or an old lady. If I can get to 30-40K without changing oil I may have to stop into Jiffy Lube just to show the fellas what real filtration looks like. Thanks for watching.

Hey nice results. Gave your thread a read after you linked me to it. Car consume much oil between the miles? You may be challenging that 50k uoa soon. Just have to get on the highway and keep driving
lol.gif

Little over 20K on oil; lab says "suitable for continued use." Iron ppm holding steady since last report, Si down (I taped around the intake ductwork), particle count down (oil is getting CLEANER), and, unfortunately, TBN dropping, but it will come back up top up time. Oil NOT changed...

I've a question. Why not tap into the oil pan and run a separate pump for the centrifuge and a bypass filter? No need to worry about sufficient pressure or drops in pressure, etc.

Originally Posted By: Corelokt
I've a question. Why not tap into the oil pan and run a separate pump for the centrifuge and a bypass filter? No need to worry about sufficient pressure or drops in pressure, etc.

Sir, If you look at the top of p2 of this posting you can see I have about 65 psi oil pressure hot and running. If I stomp on it, Wide Open Throttle, I get peak oil pressure about 70 psi under load, running the centrifuge and bypass filter(s) together. I have absolutely no problems with pressure drop or insufficient volume. What you cannot see is that my GM "driver information center" in the dashboard gives oil pressure in real time (if I push the right button). The OEM GM oil pressure sender is a POS. It reads high. The reason I KNOW this is because I had the mechanical gauge under the hood calibrated by a testing laboratory. It is correct.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness and reading.
12.gif

I didn't mean you in particular. I saw you had the oil pressure numbers others dream about.
I was pondering a complete, independent oil filtration system good for any application. Not the I'd go to this extreme on it, but for instance, my little 83 2.2 Plymouth makes under 5 psi hot idle. That's OEM spec. Some old diesel farm tractors don't make much and have coolant in the oil to boot. Engine rebuilds are thousands, a fix for less, like this would be great.

PS, cool on the gauge accuracy. My datcon has been a pia thus far. Trying sending unit number two. My temp gauge sender's are two good out of 7 bought for my three gauges. I'd go manual, but I want to be able to remove them to get at other stuff behind them.

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge, Amsoil is no longer performing particle counts. They are now doing a Ferretic "Particle "Quantifier." Lab people say this is a "more meaningful" test of only iron particles. Great, but it does nothing for those who have been trending for months and 25K miles and is probably a useless measure of overall debris (cleanliness) in the oil. I added a half quart of oil, I guess it slightly lifted my TBN, lab left data that off.
Regardless, here I am at 25K. I have since sent a backup sample to another lab that DOES laser optical particle counts, but I'm certain to lose my "trending" history. Oil is "suitable for continued use." I'm not sending in another sample until 5K more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back