2016 Nissan Versa Note

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's Cavalier has met an unfortunate end just north of 237k miles. Auto trans is toast and not worth replacing on a car that old, especially considering the paint is shot, the engine leaks oil, the windshield is cracked, 3 of 4 speakers don't work, the dash is cracked, the vent selector doesn't work, and probably a couple things I'm forgetting. She is interested in replacing it with a leftover stock 2016 Versa Note (the hatchback). Base model with stick shift and manual everything. Anyone know of any glaring issues with these cars or a reason not to buy one? The comparable Ford, Chevy, and Honda models all use a timing belt (do not want) and the Yaris hatch is just too small.

Last edited:
Reliability wise, it's actually pretty good if bought with a stick. If you can live with what the car is, an appliance that gets you from point A to point B and no more, go for it. Make sure it has AC. I think the Note has it as standard, but I think Nissan is the only auto maker left still making something without AC; the Versa sedan.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
Anyone know of a reason not to buy one?

Death trap?

I wouldn't let my spouse ride around in a car like. She should be able to find a very nice, gently used midsize at that price point.

Originally Posted By: maximus

Death trap?

I wouldn't let my spouse ride around in a car like. She should be able to find a very nice, gently used midsize at that price point.

Yeah, your Sonata scored the same from the IIHS as the Versa Note he is looking at.

In any case, it's a million times saver than the Cadaverlier.

The Versa Note is a fine car if you want a penalty box, but as was just shown here on BiTOG you can get an LS430 for the same money...

Quote:
Anyone know of any glaring issues with these cars or a reason not to buy one?

I got a 2014 SV model here in my driveway. The Issues with these cars are failing CVT's(I THINK they have fixed this issue since last gen) and PISTON SLAP, there were issues with bearing rod clearance that caused piston slap. I also do not like the TINY BATTERY, it's terrible, and most auto parts stores you have to order it, they do not keep them in stock!(and you have to buy from the dealer to get the lip on the bottom, or you will have to rig a new hold down)

Also the wipers are a problem, very little aftermarket support, you have to pay $$$ at the dealer for new wipers, or the refills.

True it does have a timing chain, and the CVT's get AMAZING fuel economy.

These are cheap commuter cars, and honestly a Toyota Camry would be much better, but you want a hatch.

Yes the CVT scares the heck out of me. I am VERY hard on transmissions, and after having my 2009 Honda Fit sidelined for the airbag issue I was driving a loaner Honda Fit with CVT.I wanted to buy a new car to replace my 2009 Fit I loved the CVT driving personality but I knew I would destroy the CVT in short order. SO I am keeping mine longer. Best thing is to change the CVT fluid regularly. Especially if you used OEM [censored] CVT oil. I myself would use an Amsoil or my choice a Redline CVT oil rather then the substandard OEM CVT oil. You will not lose your warranty because you have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act behind you.

Two mechanically disinclined girls in my life own Versas.
NEIGHBOR: Silver. Used to have a parking spot next to mine. LOVES her Note. Commutes to school and work. No details available.

FRIEND'S DAUGHTER: Black. HARD on all vehicles. Racks up upstate NY miles like nobody's business. Has only needed front struts due to leaking. I do not know the mileage.

A sheet of ice blew off the top of a trailer on I-87 and missed the hood and windshield but did hit and break the black plastic cowl piece. It was delivered from a Nissan parts company in Arizona or New Mexico as I recall.

Like the neighbor's, the car seems to be holding together.

None of this prattle tells you anything, sorry. Kira

A buddy just bought a new Hyundai Accent and he's happy with it so far - about 9000 miles. It was less than $14k out the door including tax.

So what's your best price on the leftover 2016 Versa Note? A really good deal on a mostly unpopular (manual shift) model may trump any other concerns. The dealer likely has some heavy incentives. Plus you'd have a new car warranty. Edmunds.com has a lengthy review of the 2016 Versa Note. Another decent option may be a Hyundai Elantra sedan, but it will be pricier.

I have the 2016 Versa sedan, base model. I wanted a no frills appliance car. Great head room (I'm 6'1), decent fuel economy and rides pretty nice. I opted for the 4 speed auto because I have read of too many CVT issues. Best I have done so far is 42.5 mpg on a tank last summer. I now have almost 12k since I bought it last May. I do have studded snows here in Colorado for 5 months out of the year. I am still at averaging 36.

I rented one. Good little basic car. I would go with the manual over CVT.

Make sure your wife takes it for a nice long test drive on the highway. My experience was that the car would wander at highway speeds. This may vary based on how much you wiggle the steering wheel and how much wind there is in your area. That's my only complaint with the car.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
So what's your best price on the leftover 2016 Versa Note? A really good deal on a mostly unpopular (manual shift) model may trump any other concerns. The dealer likely has some heavy incentives. Plus you'd have a new car warranty. Edmunds.com has a lengthy review of the 2016 Versa Note. Another decent option may be a Hyundai Elantra sedan, but it will be pricier.

3 dealers have an "internet price" around 12k. TrueCar claims the car "should" be around 15k for a 2017, but I'm not sure how much I believe that if there are 3 places willing to sell for 12k. Neither of us have ever bought a new car before so any tips would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

3 dealers have an "internet price" around 12k. TrueCar claims the car "should" be around 15k for a 2017, but I'm not sure how much I believe that if there are 3 places willing to sell for 12k. Neither of us have ever bought a new car before so any tips would be appreciated.

The $12,000 quote may or may not include the dealer fee, usually $500-600. Then add maybe a $75 documentation fee, sales tax, title and tags. Make sure you will be getting an "A" title, meaning the car has not been titled previously say as a dealer demo. That would reduce the car's value. If that Note meets your wife's needs, it's hard to imagine finding any comparable new model of any make at that price.

I own a 2014 Versa Note SV model with the CVT and the 1.6 l engine. My wife and I love it. We do have a CVT and so far have had no trouble with it. It is a different kind of transmission to drive with and does take some getting used to on how it shifts compared to a regular stepped automatic transmission. The engine and CVT won't win any quarter mile drag times but it still gets us around just fine.

I took it into the dealer and requested a CVT fluid change at around 30,000 miles. The dealer was very complimentary about my bringing it in so soon for a change. He says most people don't even think to get it done even at the Nissan suggested 60,000 mile mark. I told the service manager I would be doing it myself if Nissan had designed the transmission to be a DIY situation. I do most all my own maintenance on my vehicles. I believe that fluid change is the best thing to do in preventing transmission problems.

We do really like the car. We average around 35 mpg around town and 42 on the freeway. We have taken several long trips with it and it drives pretty well for us. I am 6'3" and love the taller roof line of this car. I have no trouble getting in and driving it. The drivers seat does go back far enough for my legs. The back seat leg room is quite surprising really. We test drove a FIT and the NOTE has better back seat leg room and is more comfortable than the FIT in the back.

During the transmission fluid change the dealer did the CVT computer reprogramming. We haven't been able to feel a difference on how the transmission shifts. I change the engine oil every 3000 miles on the severe service schedule which the car definitely qualifies for. I am especially wanting to change the oil often due to such a small sump capacity. That tiny amount of oil really gets worked hard. I have used 5w30 synthetic, blend and conventional and the Versa seems to be fine with any of them. At the moment it has Chevron Supreme in the sump.

Anyone who owns this car should take a REALLY close look at the owners manual about the fuel to use. If you read very closely you will read it takes 87 octane AKI or anti knock index. WE DON'T USE AKI here in the US. We use research octane formula in the US and the manual does say for that it requires 91 Research octane fuel. I have put in the 87 research octane and it does not get as good a gas milage with it for our Versa Note. We fill up at the local Costco which is now offering Top Tier fuel. I put in some Techron cleaner two or three times a year. I also use MMO mixed at 3 oz. into the Versa's 10 gallon tank every other tank.

We are very happy with the Note and glad we bought it. Anyone else who buys one I hope you enjoy yours as well. Oddly we get a lot of compliments about the car and often it is mistaken for the Toyota Prius. I think that is a hoot. We tell them it isn't and that we will never have to deal with the eventual battery situation the Prius may or may not give to it's owners and we paid thousands less for a car that still gets good fuel economy and is fun to drive. Also our Versa Note has a timing chain and not a timing belt should that be a factor for your decision. Cheers.

Originally Posted By: maximus

Death trap?

I suppose I shouldn't "let" her ride a motorcycle either, then. She doesn't want a used car, and she doesn't want a sedan.

Quote:
Anyone who owns this car should take a REALLY close look at the owners manual about the fuel to use. If you read very closely you will read it takes 87 octane AKI or anti knock index. WE DON'T USE AKI here in the US. We use research octane formula in the US and the manual does say for that it requires 91 Research octane fuel. I have put in the 87 research octane and it does not get as good a gas milage with it for our Versa Note. We fill up at the local Costco which is now offering Top Tier fuel. I put in some Techron cleaner two or three times a year. I also use MMO mixed at 3 oz. into the Versa's 10 gallon tank every other tank.

Other way around. The US uses RON+MON/2 which is AKI and what you'll see on every gas pump. Pure RON would be a higher number. Found this out when the wife bought a Korean motorcycle that specced 91 RON, which is what is used in Korea, but translates to 87 in the us.

Last edited:
One more thing: these Versa Notes bobble like [censored] on the interstate!!! A cross wind at 30mph and big rigs will keep your hands on the steering wheel, you will feel it.

What is motivating this exact car? The price? I just bought my 2015 Sonata for $9,990 2 weeks ago. I at one time considered the Versa and Mirage. But I got my full size for way less than those little tin cans go for.

Originally Posted By: Kira
A new, leftover 2015 Sonata? Was $9,990 the TOTAL price with dealer fees, taxes and DMV? Thank you, Kira
As you can see in my signature, it is used. $11,600 OTD after taxes, title, registration, and fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back