next pistol idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm somewhat debating on what pistol to get as my next. Like cars there are so many out there.

I have a Ruger SR22 for plinking around and a SR9c for carry and HD.

I've only winter carried so far so i'm thinking summer time i might want to go with something lighter and smaller. G43/Shield/XDS or maybe a .380.

Another idea is to go for a full size 1911 and use it for HD. I would like to stay with 9mm but i'm all up for ideas.

I'm not much into the shotgun/rifle, i would love to own a AR15 but chicago does not allow. Dont want to get into "AR-pistol" and blah blah

What would you get if you were in my shoes with $500 budget? After a small semi-auto 22 and a compact 9.

More of a sub compact 9, but in my experience in a small 9mm it's really hard to beat the Ruger LC9S or LC9S Pro if you don't fancy a safety. Side by side comparison to the G43 I absolutely prefer the LC9S, the trigger alone sets it apart.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
More of a sub compact 9, but in my experience in a small 9mm it's really hard to beat the Ruger LC9S or LC9S Pro if you don't fancy a safety. Side by side comparison to the G43 I absolutely prefer the LC9S, the trigger alone sets it apart.

^^^^This^^^^. Great carry gun.

I am no gun expert, but have you tried TP9SA? I've seen excellent reviews / comparison videos on Youtube and it is less than $500.

I've had my Cold 1911 in 9mm since 1986. The choice for me was simple. In the 60's I carried 1911/45ACP in Vietnam as a green side Corpsman. Easy to field strip and clean just like more modern 9mm's.

I think that in some respects a 1911 is like a Glock. You either like them or hate them. For me and maybe it was all the training and practice but I shoot the 1911 with a lot of confidence and accuracy and that is important. If you get tangled up with a safety, the grip, getting it out of the holster or not shooting accurately having 15 or more rounds is not helpful.

There are so many good choices for guns and ammo and a lot of YouTube videos, range rentals and the rest of the Internet that you can make picking one quite a project.

You can even go to the dark side (lol) and chose a wheel gun. There's a lot of them out there, too.

If you are looking for a summer carry piece, nothing beats a S&W J-frame Air Weight revolver as far as carryability and the .38 is an effective round that can be found in multiple bullet configurations. Numbers-wise, it is still one of the most popular carry pieces out there. It can be found in 9mm with moon clips if 9mm is a "have to have".

Last edited:
I have a CCW and don't like carrying anything large or heavy.
You are much better off getting something you know you'll carry everyday in T-shirt and shorts weather like a Ruger LCP II, a Beretta Pico or a Beretta Nano.
The Nano is one of the smaller 9's and the Pico is a very thin .380 rated by Beretta for the unofficially recognized .380 +P ammo such as Buffalo Bore.
Don't buy a CCW gun with the goal of it being a pleasure to shoot or it has to be a 9 because ammo for them are cheap.
Keep in mind what I prefer and what you like might differ.

I just purchased an LC9s. Make sure you get the LC9s (striker fired) if you go that route. I got mine for a great price but sold it for financial reasons (head gaskets went out on my van). At least it went to a buddy. The only thing I can say bad about it was that it had a very short grip. I only bought it because of the price. The Glock G43 offers a better grip in my opinion and will probably be my next purchase.

Last edited:
Short and small is not a long grip and it is not a steel gun.

Buy the #1 pocket pistol of the past four years or-so.... Ruger LCP .380. Goes in the front pocket unnoticed and even your shirt pocket. Highly reliable these days also.

I can't believe I'm saying this as I'm NOT the biggest Ruger fan and I WAS no 380 fan. LCP II is in my pocket as of a few months ago. They have a winner with the much improved trigger. Soooo light and small. Easy carry in front pocket. I won't get into 380 debate, but bullet technology has made it, lets say "viable" option. I choose hard cast Buffalo Bore for winter carry (think heavy clothing) and Remington bonded SD for other seasons.

I was a 9mm and up guy, until now.

I have the Rock Island 1911/45ACP and love it. I've also fired the Rock Island 1911/9mm,its great too. Give it a try,you'll like it !

Originally Posted By: SilverGt
I have the Rock Island 1911/45ACP and love it. I've also fired the Rock Island 1911/9mm,its great too. Give it a try,you'll like it !

I agree. I have the Rock Island 9 MM G.I. Model and love it. All steel construction, and a great price.

If I remember right, the SR9c is somewhere between the Glock 26 and 19 in size. I would say that's a reasonable size for HD use, so I would go for a smaller firearm for easier concealed carry.

A full size gun might be a lot more fun at the range, but I think a sub compact would have the most utility for you. If you ever end up not carrying the SR9c in the summer for size reasons, it doesn't matter what gun you have at home. The best gun is always the gun you have by your side. Once you have that covered, you can look into filling other gaps in your firearm lineup.

I love my shield, it's a great compromise between size and shootability, you can carry it in your pocket but it rides better on the belt. I use Duluth trading pants the pockets are big enough to fit a full size gun physically

You can shoot it at the range and not hurt your hand after a box of ammo.

They also make magazine extensions from Magguts if you want +1 or +2 which is handy if you want to belt carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back