Which struts will take a better beating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything is lined up....and I need to order up some struts for my cobalt.

It's a pretty simple choice between Monroe or KYB. Problem is...my new commute has some of the worst potholes I have veer seen! (and hit.. :() The roads are terrible here in MI, so I am hoping I can get 50k out of the struts here if I can...

Will one of these two survive the bad roads here better than the other? I've talked to some different folk- and some have said KYB, others monroe, ans still others say it's a flip of a coin.....Every have some that but the cheapest and just reaplce them after 15-20k anyways....

Guy tells me about the same...though I would think a firmer ride (KYB) would wear down faster than a soft ride (monroe). Your thoughts on this?

My last time using Monroe convinced me I didn't want to use them anymore. Not sure if it was just my application or if their quality has dropped over the years.

KYB is my go to these days.

Monroe is going to have their rebate again starting 3.1, so order them after Wednesday. $75 rebate when you buy 2 shocks and 2 struts. Quick struts are awesome
smile.gif

But KYB is good stuff, too. You can't go wrong with either one

Hey Dave. I was all set on the Econo Monroes and I just love shopping local. The dealership doesnt handle quick struts, I think the parts guy said they just sell the absorber- so there would be alot of work involved.

Check out Amazon. I usually buy CDs from them, but they have some ACDelco struts that GM seemed to have went all out providing an intelligent description. Good luck.

My 06 has needed struts since before at least 2010 as per paperwork. The car has been in the family since new and I have driven her for just about two years and twenty thousand miles.

Go with the best price/warranty. The springs have a bigger impact on the ride quality than shocks/ struts which basically control the spring oscillations.

Last edited:
Shop around. I did my Monroe quickstruts for $400. All four. Pep Boys for some reason had them cheapest.

Monroe never responded to my rebate form though.
frown.gif
Since it was mailed in I'm not sure I have an recourse. Still: cheap and done.

If the potholes are really bad, how much more to buy something with "lifetime" warranty? Goes bad and you just return them.

KYB. I know from experience being a former Honda tech, now semi mechanic.
Quickstruts may or may not have the same spring rate as the factory struts. If you look at something like a slow Honda Fit,
even Honda used several different spring rates on the same vehicle depending if it had a sunroof/automatic/manual...

KYBs will last far far longer then Monroes. I had a hobby Audi repair shop with 60 clients and got burned on Monroes like you would not believe. KYBs were my go too strut after the Monroe burns. Never had a comeback from a KYB.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hollow
My last time using Monroe convinced me I didn't want to use them anymore. Not sure if it was just my application or if their quality has dropped over the years.

KYB is my go to these days.

+1 for KYB. Monroe is junk nowadays.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The best for a beating is Bilstien hands down by far. But you ain't getting them for KYB money ...

+1
Bilstein is in a different category to the KYB. Monroe is rubbish.

Bilstein are good along with Ohlins, Penske, Leda, budget is a consideration and ease of change..

If I could swap them out in 20 - 30 minutes then I would fit cheap parts and change regular, 2 or 3 hours change and I'd put the longest lasting bits I could find in there..

Originally Posted By: Olas
Bilstein are good along with Ohlins, Penske, Leda

They don't make any of those for a Cobalt
lol.gif

The OE shocks/struts were probably made by Monroe. The Monroe quick struts will be fine in the OP's Cobalt, and they have a lifetime warranty that even covers wear. KYB's warranty does not, and although KYB's struts are very high quality, their price is somewhat higher than Monroe.

Gabriel is also worth considering.

I replaced struts on 99 Saturn SL2 with KYB 50,000 miles ago. Still working well. I did all the work myself. AutoZone will rent a spring compressor. It is not rocket science if you do some research.

The problem with Quick Struts is workmanship or noise. I re-used all my springs and mounts. Just lubed the front strut mount bearings which was tedious. I had no noise and a great ride when done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I replaced struts on 99 Saturn SL2 with KYB 50,000 miles ago. Still working well. I did all the work myself. AutoZone will rent a spring compressor. It is not rocket science if you do some research.

The problem with Quick Struts is workmanship or noise. I re-used all my springs and mounts. Just lubed the front strut mount bearings which was tedious. I had no noise and a great ride when done.

How are the struts holding up after 50k? How long do you think they will last?

Mounts do need to be replaced, especially if you get rust in your area. The workmanship noise isn't a problem if you buy quality premium name-brand quick struts like Monroe, KYB, or Gabriel.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The best for a beating is Bilstien hands down by far. But you ain't getting them for KYB money ...

+1

I've used kyb on saturns. They ride a bit stiff, but saturn s cars have a short suspension travel. They hold up. Bilsteins are probably best, but they are not available for all makes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back