Small cut in side of leather seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago, I noticed a small cut in the side of my seat. It's about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long, and is a clean cut, not a tear. The seat is in good condition for the age and mileage (10 years), and I'd like to keep the cut from growing. I was wondering if I "opened up" the cut, put some kind of adhesive on a thin tool, then inserted it. Any other techniques/ideas to try? Here's a pic of the seat, and the second one shows a photoshopped black mark in the location and of the size of the cut.
IMG_5044_zpsyjp5bfl9.jpg

457b9c32-7889-429a-9bcb-4453797e35b3_zpsiexys0tv.jpg

More than likely that seat panel is vinyl , not leather: the surfaces that never touch your skin are frequently not leather. If that is factory leather, you might be able to order a factory seat skin to match. The problem with upholstery is the high amount of labor involved in fixing it. Its possible that the crack started as a result of flexing while ultra-cold.

Wow that car is clean. I would try and find a professional shop to make a repair, they are around and usually do a good job. That car is too clean for a diy repair.

Thanks. It's my first car and I'm shooting for 300k miles with it, so I try and keep it in good shape, mechanically and cosmetically. I bought it with 135k. What would that repair cost in a ballpark?

There are businesses around here that can repair leather or vinyl so you can't tell it was damaged. No need for new seat cover. Kinda like paintless dent removal. There's probably one in your town.

Last edited:
That can be fixed easily.
There is no need for a new cover.

Check out LeatherTouchupDye.com
They have many utube videos showing the procedure.
Leather filler/repair kit cost $40. I believe it will work with both vinyl or leather.
I never worked with leather before but I fixed a similar sized tear in the leather seat back of my 2002 Lincoln using their repair kit. It came out perfect.

If you don’t want to try it yourself, find an upholstery shop. They will use a similar procedure to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back