Oil filter advice for Toyota Matrix 2ZRFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been using the K&N 7021 oil filter, which I thought was a great filter, until I read tonight that K&N isn't quite what they use to be.

So now I'm looking at substitute filters and kind of getting my head scrambled LOL

Any advice on a filter? I really like how the Pennzoil PP HM 5w20 has performed, and would like to run 7-10K OCI intervals.

Here are a few filters I'm interested in:

Purolator L16311 & PL16311
Mobil1 M1C-154 & MO980
CARQUEST 84064 & R84064
WIX 57064 & 57064XP
BOSCH 3313

The most important thing about an oil filter is that it doesn't fail. The best oil filter is an oil filter.

M1, Wix XP/Napa Platinum, Fram Ultra XG10358, Mahle OX416D1 or -D2 would be your best choices.

The regular Wix for this application is Chinese, and I think F\non-Ultra Frams are, too.

The M1 and Fram Ultra are US-made. The XP comes from Poland, and the Mahle is made in Austria.

What is wrong with an OEM filter?
They are readily available, very affordable and are a good quality product as well

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
They are readily available, very affordable and are a good quality product as well

This ^

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
So I've been using the K&N 7021 oil filter, which I thought was a great filter, until I read tonight that K&N isn't quite what they use to be.

So now I'm looking at substitute filters and kind of getting my head scrambled LOL

K&N 7021 is a cartridge filter, so who knows if it's now bad like the K&N spin-ons are.

If you're concerned about filtering efficiency, the WIX XP is probably worse than the K&N.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
True. When I looked last night, I found those (Toyota 04152-YZZA6) at 5 for $22.40 (including shipping) through Amazon. The local dealer asks nearly $10.

Shortly after I bought the used Prius, I bought 3 Purolator L16311 filters for it at the local Kmart's going-out-of-business clearance sale. I haven't used any of them yet, but am trying to decide whether I should. So far, I haven't seen any complaints on this site of cartridge Purolators tearing the way recent spin-on ones reportedly do too often. Two of my 3 samples have a different odd quirk: their shape is skewed, by as much as about 2 degrees. That is, when the lower end is resting on a horizontal flat surface, the upper end is not exactly directly above the lower end, but shifted to the side slightly. I don't yet know enough details about the car's filter cap and housing to know whether this filter defect is significant (as in likely to allow oil to bypass around the ends) or insignificant.

"Efficiency" of the L16311 is 97.5% at 40 microns, says the box.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jongies3
When it comes to Toyota, nothing beats the OEM Denso filters in my opinion.

In what way?

Toyota OEM filter should be no more than $4 from your dealer's parts dept... anymore than that and you've got a dealer just marking it up. You can get the same Denso filter from RockAuto.com for under $4 (plus shipping). The OEM filter is constructed well and holds its form over a full OCI, but at 50% efficiency the argument can be made there are "better" options. I'd avoid the Mobil 1 filter as it's now Chinese made from the same assembly plant/line as the Fram filters. The difference is that you can easily source a Tough Guard for under $9, whereas the Mobil 1 filter is over $15... and both are basically 99% efficient. The Purolators just don't seem to fit well in most of the 1.8L applications I've seen... too many twisted/distorted medias. Hopefully they've improved, but I'm not just bought into them for the price. The Fram Ultra (USA made) is a good choice if you want synthetic, although I (and others) have questioned the overall strength of the bond between the end-caps and the media (there have been a couple failures). I'd forget the WIX / Napa synthetic filters... 50% efficiency for $15? No thanks.

I'm very happy with the Mahle OX416D1 (made in Austria) that I'm using now. It has better efficiency, excellent build quality, even pleat spacing, full injected fiber endcaps, and it even has injected rubber o-rings at both ends to help it seal to the filter housing (only other filters I've seen with these are the TRD/Amsoil filters). It's currently available on Amazon for $7.99 (Prime shipping). Mahle is an OE supplier in Europe (provided it's an Austrian made filter) for many of the Euro brands, so the quality can be trusted.

I would pass on the OEM filter. OEM anything is unimpressive. Make an easy choice.... A readily available Fram Ultra ( Walmart) . Very well made, low micro filtering and you can safely use it for 2 oil changes.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The most important thing about an oil filter is that it doesn't fail. The best oil filter is an oil filter.

Agree 100%

Toyota OEM filters are $4.03 online from Metro Toyota in Kalamazoo, and the regular Wix was the same price from Rockauto a few years ago. I think my local Toyota dealer sold me a 04152-YZZA6 for about $5.50.

Wix used to make Carquest filters. I wonder if that's true of this one?

Fram Ultra 10358 is my filter of choice. However, I'd wait a few months until production is up and running back in the Fram facility. Apparently they have been having issues with some cartridge filters produced in their Champ labs facility.

Originally Posted By: Mainia
I would pass on the OEM filter. OEM anything is unimpressive. ...
Based on what data?

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
Toyota OEM filter should be no more than $4 from your dealer's parts dept... anymore than that and you've got a dealer just marking it up. You can get the same Denso filter from RockAuto.com for under $4 (plus shipping). The OEM filter is constructed well and holds its form over a full OCI, but at 50% efficiency the argument can be made there are "better" options. I'd avoid the Mobil 1 filter as it's now Chinese made from the same assembly plant/line as the Fram filters. The difference is that you can easily source a Tough Guard for under $9, whereas the Mobil 1 filter is over $15... and both are basically 99% efficient. The Purolators just don't seem to fit well in most of the 1.8L applications I've seen... too many twisted/distorted medias. Hopefully they've improved, but I'm not just bought into them for the price. The Fram Ultra (USA made) is a good choice if you want synthetic, although I (and others) have questioned the overall strength of the bond between the end-caps and the media (there have been a couple failures). I'd forget the WIX / Napa synthetic filters... 50% efficiency for $15? No thanks.

I'm very happy with the Mahle OX416D1 (made in Austria) that I'm using now. It has better efficiency, excellent build quality, even pleat spacing, full injected fiber endcaps, and it even has injected rubber o-rings at both ends to help it seal to the filter housing (only other filters I've seen with these are the TRD/Amsoil filters). It's currently available on Amazon for $7.99 (Prime shipping). Mahle is an OE supplier in Europe (provided it's an Austrian made filter) for many of the Euro brands, so the quality can be trusted.

I see that one listed on Rockauto:

OX416D1ECO-ANG-05-25-15.jpg

Nice price too. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I may have to order a few.

Otherwise I hope that the K&N cartridge filters are exempt from the lackluster quality the spin-ons are apparently going through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back